Wiki Posts
Search

Please Help Me Mod My Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Please Help Me Mod My Car

Hey guys,
Okay just before I posted this in the "Electric Off-Road" Section and then I thought that this is the place to put it.

Okay, so basically I want to mod my car a little bit, just to get a bit more speed and stuff. I have a Thunder Tiger Electric Phoenix ST II Truck, that I got about 1 month ago. I bought a new 4000 MaH battery that is coming soon, and I really want to mod it up a bit in about 1 month. So what can I do? Please, I am a newb at this stuff, so please tell me like step by step linking to links and stuff, thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Do you have the brushless or the brushed version of that truck? It'll make a big difference on what people can help you with.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MarkA
Do you have the brushless or the brushed version of that truck? It'll make a big difference on what people can help you with.
That is the thing, I don't really know that, I am sorry. Take a look on the Thunder Tiger site, I would post a link, but don't have 10 posts to post haha.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ibuffo
That is the thing, I don't really know that, I am sorry. Take a look on the Thunder Tiger site, I would post a link, but don't have 10 posts to post haha.
Yeah, the thing is that they sell your model of truck in two versions under the same model/type/name on Tower's website so I can't say for sure what you have. Thunder Tiger's website only shows a brushed version but their site also looks like it doesn't receive frequent updates. It's kinda like the Ford Mustang; there's a V6 and and a V8 version but they're both called a "Mustang".

So, to help, if there are 4 wires coming from your speed control with 2 of those going to the motor, you have the brushed version. If there are 5 wires coming from your speed control with two going to the motor, you have the brushless version. Or, you can post a pic to confirm.

If you have the brushed version, I can already tell you what to do next - I would suggest buying this to upgrade to brushless and it'll be as fast as you could want.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Brushless system and a lipo will have your flyin.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, the thing is that they sell your model of truck in two versions under the same model/type/name on Tower's website so I can't say for sure what you have. Thunder Tiger's website only shows a brushed version but their site also looks like it doesn't receive frequent updates. It's kinda like the Ford Mustang; there's a V6 and and a V8 version but they're both called a "Mustang".

So, to help, if there are 4 wires coming from your speed control with 2 of those going to the motor, you have the brushed version. If there are 5 wires coming from your speed control with two going to the motor, you have the brushless version. Or, you can post a pic to confirm.

If you have the brushed version, I can already tell you what to do next - I would suggest buying this to upgrade to brushless and it'll be as fast as you could want.
Okay I have the brushed version. So I should buy that thing and get somebody to install it for me? Thanks for your quick replies.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ibuffo
Okay I have the brushed version. So I should buy that thing and get somebody to install it for me? Thanks for your quick replies.
No I thing you should install it your self. Part of the hobby is learning.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Lord

You need to learn how to work on your car yyourself. If you take it to someone every time there's something wrong, the hobby shop will be seeing you and your money a lot. These things break and need some maintenance, so its best to learn how to take care of it.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Champion

Yes, that's what you want to go much faster and if you can change a lightbulb, you can probably install it.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you happen to get a brushless speed control that requires you soldering onto the board I would have someone solder it up for you because it is very hard to do direct to board soldering well if you are not familiar with soldering wires first
Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by token
No I thing you should install it your self. Part of the hobby is learning.
Okay but where can I learn that stuff? That is exactly why I came here, to learn, but I don't know where or how to learn this stuff.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

You're in the right place but the best way to approach it is to order the system/parts/etc you want and then come back with specific questions as you go through the process of installing/repairing/building. You'll find that most RC products come with very good instruction manuals and the posters here can fill in the rest.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

You're in the right place but the best way to approach it is to order the system/parts/etc you want and then come back with specific questions as you go through the process of installing/repairing/building. You'll find that most RC products come with very good instruction manuals and the posters here can fill in the rest.
Okay thanks. I will be taking a look at some brushless motors and ESC's and posting photos of my truck to see if it would all be capable.