Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
recommendations for first nitro truck/buggy? >

recommendations for first nitro truck/buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommendations for first nitro truck/buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default recommendations for first nitro truck/buggy?

Hello, I am looking to buy my first nitro truck but I don't know what to get.

I have searched online for a long time and also went to my local hobby shops and looked around. (local shops didn't have much available)

What I want:
-truck or buggy
-must be under 300$
-easy to get upgrade and replacement parts(that are also not expensive to get)
-must be RTR

What would you recommend, from experience, to a beginner?
Any tips or anything i should know when looking to buy?

What ever information you think could help me I would love to hear it!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

The new Ofna LX2 is under 300 and RTR, Ofna Hyper 7 RTR, Ofna Hyper 8.5 is @ 350.0. Are you bashing or Racing? If you are racing you need double that budget.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Honestly for $300 your not going to get "that good" of a product.

My opinion:

TLR - Team Losi Racing has the new Losi 810 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy. $369.99 would be perfect for you as a beginner. Its called an 8th scale but its built off a 10th scale concept. Parts are cheaper that 8th scale. And options parts are cheaper as well. This is a great car to learn on. Any RTR you get, just be prepared to spend money on electronics.

If money is a concern - you might now want a truggy....... Tires run about $80 a set.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

If it is your first RC ever, I would not recommend a nitro. It will be challenging to learn to tune a engine and learn to drive all at the same time. If it isnt your good. I also think the losi 810 is a great first nitro!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow, you found the 810 for $369.00? Almost everywhere I look it is $419.00. I agree with the others though, for $300.00 you are going to have to settle for an "off" brand type car. That can be bad news when you need to fix a broken part. I for one have learned through other people's mistakes that it is ok to go cheap when buying an electric RC vehicle, it is disaster to go cheap when buying a nitro RC vehicle. I have had numerous nitro vehicles in the present and in the past, mostly Traxxas. I currently have what I consider the most user friendly nitro car out there......the Losi Ten T. It doesn't require a long and arduous break-in period and the remote starting from the push of a button on the transmitter is pure RC heaven. The Ten T is built like a tank and is based on a 1/8th scale buggy platform. It is hands down the best nitro RC car/truck I have ever owned. It comes with a pretty high end radio system in the Spektrum DX3S and is setup for full telemetry, readable on the transmitter screen. The downside is that the Ten T is pricey at $499.00 +tax in my neck of the woods; I got mine for $454.00 plus tax,which came out to about $489.00 out the door. The upside to all this is that the 810 basically is the Ten T but without the remote onboard starting system (R.O.S.S.). As for a beginner getting into nitro first before electrics? No problem, just get a quality nitro car/truck, read the instructions thoroughly and break it in like the manufacturer recommends. Nitro is a lot easier today than it used to be. I find that those that hate nitro are either scared of it or are a bit lazy.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just baught the Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 (.28 motor), cost me $380, first rc Ive had and very happy with it, was a bit worried at first at getting a nitro but did a bit of reserch about tuning, maintences (pre, post), not too hard. Im stoked I got a nitro, cant beat the sound and smell. There definately not for the lazy person though.
the TT S3 is easy to get parts for, heaps of upgrade parts also.
Will run this for a while the eventually up grade to a better car and start racing maybe, bacically im hooked.
Starting to get tired of the pull start though, looking at a starter box conversion.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Yep, pull starts are a pain. I never liked them and my friends who had them always had blisters on their fingers from the darned things. All my nitro RC cars in the past have all been Traxxas; I like the EZ Start. The R.O.S.S. system on the Ten T is the best though. I just ordered a Traxxas Slayer Pro 3.3 and am anxious to see how it stands up to the Losi Ten T. We'll see. BTW, I got the Slayer at Tower Hobbies for $374.00 out the door. It was $424.00 and I got a $50.00 off coupon via e-mail plus free shipping. I think I scored.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

look at the AE t4, Losi xxx-t, and the Duratrax Evader. I think the t4 and xxx-t are a little over $200, and the Evader is around $170. If you are going to be racing only, the t4 or losi would be the best. The Evader is a great car, but make sure you can get parts for it easily. It is durable, but if you break anything, you might have to order from Tower.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I'd look for someone selling out and buy used. On that budget, you won't get much new. For $300, you could get a nice older version 1/8th scale buggy (think 8ight 1.0, Mugen MBX5, etc.) or monster truck ready to go with a ton of spares.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check out this site. Not exactly name brand (minus Traxxas) but in your budget range. Good luck.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

If were gonna throw the losi 810 out there we can throw out the JQ rtr for $367.... parts availability ...... eh, but its a solid rtr for the price. I raced the losi 810 right out of the box and I loved it. That car is responsible for my racing addiction. Either one would be sweet nitro's out of the box.

I know it's easy to run electric as a starter, but I had 5 nitro cars and trucks before I even started to think about electric. I had a good time, but they are work and you have to take your time and learn. You are probably going to get those blisters like your friends had. You could do some proactive homework though and figure out how to avoid those issues, or you could grab an experienced nitro racer to help you.

Alas, you could just order an electric and be up and doing back flips after you charge the battery.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

You guy realize this thread is 2 years old....
Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

ya no need to keep it going.