Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Returning to racing >

Returning to racing

Returning to racing

Old 09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Returning to racing

Hi guys

I used to race a couple of years ago, but i've forgotten it all, so i suppose that makes me a rookie!!

i've got a yokomo mr4tcr with a GMV12 speedo and a decent charger. my batteries have been sat for probably 18months, is there a way to revive them? i'm planning to cycle them a few times...

any other tips for getting back into racing? i've got a club nearby that i can go to, although changing from tarmac to carpet could be interesting!!

thanks

anthony
Old 09-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Good luck. teh car is getting a bit dated, but until you really start racing more, it should be fine. To start, get a good charger depending on NmH or Nicads, soldering iron, and motors for the class you want to race. Also find out what tires are working for the track and stock up. Your batteries should be fine if cycled, but test them. Also, maybe extra a-arms, shock oil and springs for fine tuning.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Initiate

seems like i should be ok then. i've paid a visit to the track, tyres are available there.

i've got a couple of A arms and spare springs from before, and by a stroke of luck, my old motor is still eligible for this class!

i didn't want to spend too much as i'm trying to save during this year before i go to uni, and its only for a bit of fun. i think my main expenditure will be on batteries and tyres.

if anyone can recommend general set up changes (ie those that you would make to any car) to go from a tarmac setup to carpet, that would be much appreciated.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Basically the diference from asphault to carpet is traction. carpet has way more traction so you can go way stiffer to limit body roll which equals faster lap times. Go stiffer springs, etc., for higher traction areas. Also make sure you have options in the front with a dif and one-way and change accordingly.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for that. going along in a little over a week, should be good
Old 09-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Do you have an equalizer? It's good for keeping down the IR in your batteries and also for synchronising your cells. Other than that, I would just use what you got.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Tech Initiate

only got stickpacks, so i don't think i can use an equaliser?

what is IR, by the way?

thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

IR means Internal Resistance that occurs in your batteries, but since you are just getting back in to it, I wouldn't worry about it that much. Most guys at the level you will be racing will be more concerned about keeping the cars on the track and taking consistent laps. An Equalizer is basically a tray to equalize your batteries when they are discharged so they all start charging from the same low point. If you use stick packs, you won't be able to equalize. My advice is to keep costs down and get more stick time and learn. By the time you get good enough for an equalizer and see the actual benefits, the batteries will be shot and it will be time for racing packs anyway. Just think, one crash takes about 5 seconds for a turn marshall to fix, so any gain in batteries is negated. My 2 cents. You should be good to go, have fun.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Another note:
This hobby is about fun and yes you can spend a fortune. The better you get, the more need for special items to give you the edge everyone else has. So its a matter of trying to get yourself on the same playing field. An equalizer is great, and there are a lot of other things you will need as you progress, but what you have now should be fine. In the future, you'll want all sorts of stuff including different front transmissions (spool, one-way, etc.). Your car is even dated, but you can still have fun. The MR4TC was good for its day, but droop is a pain to set, cause there is no droop screws, and parts are starting to be less available since the car is discontinued. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the advice, it pretty much confirms what i was thinking.

only planning to race for 12 months or so before i go to university..... we'll see what happens