Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
RC Maintenance? (Brand new) >

RC Maintenance? (Brand new)

RC Maintenance? (Brand new)

Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC Maintenance? (Brand new)

Hey guy, Brand new here. I ordered a Traxxas Slash 2wd that should be arriving on Saturday.

My question: (Aside from upgrading and mods) What kind of maintenance do I need to do on this thing? And how often? Any tips on breaking in?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rooster2410
Hey guy, Brand new here. I ordered a Traxxas Slash 2wd that should be arriving on Saturday.

My question: (Aside from upgrading and mods) What kind of maintenance do I need to do on this thing? And how often? Any tips on breaking in?
Maintenance is key..

If a nitro engine, then yes there is a breakin and many opinions on how to do it will emerge. The key is to expand the block and liners before firing it up and wearing the piston into the liner. It can be a painful task and wouldnt go astray to have an experience person assist you with it. What to do if you seize up the piston in the liner. Or where to position the piston after each cycle of the run-in process..

See here for an Epic version of just run in.

http://www.beachmumsracing.org.au/fyi/santalovesnitro/

Apart from that, the car should have a good once over, checking that your servos are trimmed correctly and all is screwed together, battery charged, ample room at a park to run in etc etc.

I'd suggest hunting thru forums and asking others with a similar model things you might want to check before proceeding

Read up, ask and prepare it well and it will serve you well later on. It's not voodoo or magic, it's all straight forward but takes many of us years to perfect every attribute regarding the prep of a new model.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Clean the car every few runs with wd-40 and an air compressor. Check the spur/pinion mesh every couple of minues while running. I use blue threadlock for screws going into metal and superglue on screws that go into plastic. Have fun!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

usually what i notice with RTR's that come right of the box is that some screws on the chassis or the nuts holding the tires in place usually back out and become loose. So, double check all screws that they are tightened snugly so you dont have to look for lost screws.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaulL5156
usually what i notice with RTR's that come right of the box is that some screws on the chassis or the nuts holding the tires in place usually back out and become loose. So, double check all screws that they are tightened snugly so you dont have to look for lost screws.
That's a good one. There's some guys who will tear the whole car apart if it's an RTR for that reason. I'm not that crazy though...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks alot guys. Good to know.