TC3 Diff

Old 09-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default TC3 Diff

I've got a small problem, my TC3 is burning up the rear diff almost every run, I have replaced it 3 times but it is not making any difference, I am not running it loose but not too tight either, the only thing I can think of is that the car is over / under geared but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

If it makes any difference, I am rinning an IRS solid diff in the front with a reedy 19 turn quad mag for a motor.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Re: TC3 Diff

Originally posted by RobS
I've got a small problem, my TC3 is burning up the rear diff almost every run, I have replaced it 3 times but it is not making any difference, I am not running it loose but not too tight either, the only thing I can think of is that the car is over / under geared but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

If it makes any difference, I am rinning an IRS solid diff in the front with a reedy 19 turn quad mag for a motor.

Any help would be appreciated.
What do you mean by burning? Check that your drivetrain is spinning freely (without pinion). You should get a few second spin time.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Your not running it dry are you?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

No I am not running it dry and by burning it up I ment that some of the plastic from the out drives is melting and getting into the diff balls, and causing the diff balls not to spin at all.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Bad bearing? or bad diff gear mesh? When you adjust them you make sure that there is NO slip at all, but they are still smooth and free right? If there is any large amount of slip it will generate alot of heat due to the friction/slipping throughtout the race.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't think there was any slip when I put the last one togeather it was almost perfect and after one run it melted on me again. It is possible it may have been slipping but if it was it was vary slight. I'll take a look when I get home later.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

hmmm... I wander if you dont have your diff shimmed right. Try shimming it better or get somone to shim it for you. If thats the case. That might cause the problem.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Are you using bearings in the plastic outdrives. If so that is the problem. Try using the bushings and the problem will go away. I use one bearing and one bushing with the bearing in the ring gear. I have never had a problem with it. Associated stopped selling the bearings for that very reason. Bearings are not needed inside the diff as it doesnt spin that fast.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

I had the exact same problem, and the only way to make it dissappear was to use IRS aluminum outdrives. The AE steel ones would work also, but are pretty heavy.

Josh