Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need Recommendation On New Car >

Need Recommendation On New Car

Need Recommendation On New Car

Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need Recommendation On New Car

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and was intrested in everyones opinion and advice on what car to look at purchasing.. Will want to start racing at local tracks around Sydney Australia. Think im leaning more towards 1/10th scale touring electric or nitro yet to decide.

Can someone recommend some electric or nitro cars to look at. Budget is flexible.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO if your just starting out I would recommend you start out with this electric. It is far easier for a beginner. Nitro takes a bit of experience in tuning. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
IMO if your just starting out I would recommend you start out with this electric. It is far easier for a beginner. Nitro takes a bit of experience in tuning. Just my 2 cents.
+1

i started out with nitro and didn't know squat about it so i ended up selling it after only having it a couple months. since then i've learned alot and know a lot more people so i have plenty of people to ask if i need help with something.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Any electric cars you can recommend?

Want something decent... Like i said budget is flexible..
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Initiate

The Associated touring cars have always been excellent choices. I used to run HPI's, but it seems like they don't have the selections they used to.

Last edited by ITJeff; 04-28-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
+1 to ITJeff. Associateds are very well made. the tamiya tt-01 is a great car that i've found to be very durable and its a great beginner car as far as you can play around with upgrading different parts of it and just get familiar with the mechanics of rc cars before jumping into the deep end
Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

for the amout of money you would spend on upgrades on the tt-o1 to be competive you better off buying a xray t3,tc6,schumacher mi4, ect.... i would serch on the buy and trade section on rctech.. youll be able to find a good deal on some used touring cars ...good luck on finding what you want... peace

john
Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

and look i found one for you .... $115 and ita ARTR http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...3-xray-t2.html
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

See what brands your LHS carries, this will save you a lot in shipping if you break just a small part. But so far for the best new prices, i've found www.amainhobbies.com for cars escs and motors great, and check out www.hobbyking.com for batteries and chargers, if you choose from stuff in the AUS wherehouse (NSW) will be quick and cheap for shipping. I've been using turnigy hardcase lipo's, and i couldnt be happier.

When buying new though, it can get VERY expensive. My current main setup is a Schumacher Mi1, Tekin RS, Tekin redline 17.5, Savox 1257tg, LRP A3-STX tx/rx and 2x4000mah 30c 2s Turnigy lipos and a hobbyking eco6-10 charger.

That lot with shipping cost me: ~$870

But because my LHS don't carry mi1 components, last week i ended up spending over $150 on spares plus shipping (plus some more tires and wheels and tools, which is all part of the addiction this hobby causes lol..) from the US.

But to answer your original question, if you want new, check out Schumacher Mi1 or Xray T3r. Both Chassis under $300. For your esc and motor check out what classes your local tracks run before you buy anything. No point in buying a tekin rs combo for like $250 when a speed passion for $99 or novak for $149 will do. If you can find one in stock, check out the Hobbywing Xerun escs, cheaper then a tekin rs by a bit and no need for a hotwire ($40) and a laptop to set them up.

Hope all that helps!