Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
TC3 w/ one-way, should I upgrade to aluminum CVD's? >

TC3 w/ one-way, should I upgrade to aluminum CVD's?

TC3 w/ one-way, should I upgrade to aluminum CVD's?

Old 09-19-2004, 10:11 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TC3 w/ one-way, should I upgrade to aluminum CVD's?

Subject summarizes the question. But a little more detail, I keep breaking CVD's. The track I run on has a couple tight turns that I keep clipping, and they are such that you have to be on the throttle to keep your speed up - so if I do hit I have no chance to back off the throttle and I end up breaking a bone. It's partially my driving, but not entirely as I am down to breaking one every 50-60 laps (or two heats) ... I'll be fine for several races, but just one minor tap and poof, it's broke. It's hard to win with three wheel motion!

I'm thinking of upgrading to the aluminum CVD's but I'm afraid I'm going to send the force of the impact into the one way's bearing instead and end up breaking a bearing. Am I just being overly paranoid? How much of an impact can it handle without worry? Will I tend to bend the CVD before I break the one way?

I'm running the HD AE one way in a stock class car.

If you can help a newb out I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Aluminum is lighter, but more brittle than steel. If you are worried of breaking, you'll break more with Aluminum. The best of both worlds is titanium; its light and strong. Sounds like you've had some bad luck though, since those parts tend to hold before a-arms, hubs, turnbuckles, etc. break.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

That would be the best solution for your problem desolas.. So go get one and tell us the result after using the said cvd's.. Hapy racing..
Old 09-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Using the one-way (and spools) up front will make your front drivetrain more vulnerable to breaking parts when you hit things. There are a few ways to help this:
1. Stop hitting things
2. Upgrade the front CVDs. I recommend the IRS heavy duty shafts for the CVDs up front. The are thicker than the factory team aluminum dogbones and should take a beating.

I would also recommend keeping a spare set of one-way outdrives with you if you race because these can fail in a hard wreck as well. Most lhs near me don't always have these in stock so keeping a spare with you might keep your race day going longer!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

You definately want to be running aluminum bones up front. Especially with a one-way. I use aluminum AE bones up front and IRS composite bones w/pin cushions in the rear. The composite bones up front just arent strong enough.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will try the aluminum ones. I've got the part about not hitting stuff almost down, but it happens and it isn't even much of a hit that causes the breakage.

If the aluminum ones break eventually it won't be a huge deal, as long as it isn't from the tiniest of hits. The composites are just junk in that regard.

The LHS I race at has spare outdrives in stock fortunately. I was most worried about breaking one of the bearings, but I'm hearing it's kind of hard to do with the Yokomo/Associated HD one way.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

My brother had this problem. he broke a steel CVD instead. buy the IRS blue aluminum CVDs or i think the steel ones. Another sugestion is dont hit any walls
Old 09-24-2004, 11:29 PM

Another sugestion is dont hit any walls
Easier said than done.

I bought the AE aluminum CVD's tonight and ran them, had no breakage despite stuffing it once pretty hard.. But I also have stopped hitting the corner I kept breaking on, so that hopefully helped some.

Anyway, the shiny blue is cool and bound to make my car faster, right?