Wiki Posts
Search

Professionally built rc kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Professionally built rc kits

I need your feedback on this please! Why buy an RTR that comes with low performance parts. I will build your rc kit for you. Looking to help out new racers that may not have the time or patience to build a factory team kit. Let me do the work for you. I can even install all the electronics for you. I can build electric and nitro buggy, truggy, on road, off road, any manufacturer vehicles. Very quick turn around time. Its simple, you ship me your stuff, ill build it for you and send it back in secure, safe packaging. For a small fee, it will eliminate hours of your frustrations. I am trying to start this business and hoping with your help, it will be something I can do full time. For more details, please contact me and I will talk with you more about this and answer any questions you may have. Thank you very much

Todd Lipani
352-226-1682
[email protected]
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Todd-ORCCC
I need your feedback on this please! Why buy an RTR that comes with low performance parts. I will build your rc kit for you. Looking to help out new racers that may not have the time or patience to build a factory team kit. Let me do the work for you. I can even install all the electronics for you. I can build electric and nitro buggy, truggy, on road, off road, any manufacturer vehicles. Very quick turn around time. Its simple, you ship me your stuff, ill build it for you and send it back in secure, safe packaging. For a small fee, it will eliminate hours of your frustrations. I am trying to start this business and hoping with your help, it will be something I can do full time. For more details, please contact me and I will talk with you more about this and answer any questions you may have. Thank you very much

Todd Lipani
352-226-1682
[email protected]
I think you need to take some business courses.

Cuz i just wanna ship out several hundred dollars of merchandise to someone with zero feedback, and no proof of any particular skills!

Building a kit is one of the best things to do in this hobby, no offense, but your business plan, will fail.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FTSC10
I think you need to take some business courses.

Cuz i just wanna ship out several hundred dollars of merchandise to someone with zero feedback, and no proof of any particular skills!

Building a kit is one of the best things to do in this hobby, no offense, but your business plan, will fail.
I see your points. I would put together some references and this would be set up through local hobby shops. Thats why I need feedback. I know a few people who enjoy the hobby, but have no time to build their kits. Or it takes them two to three weeks to build the vehicle. Just throwing out an idea. I mean people will take their broken vehicles in to a hobby shop and pay money to be repaired. You and I enjoy building kits but there may be others who would rather have someone else build it for them. Thanks for your feedback
Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Todd-ORCCC

Todd Lipani
352-226-1682
[email protected]
You best approach hobby shops... they'll give you builds to do.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

To be hones with you, building the car is half the fun. Plus it teaches the new comers how these things really work so it is not so much of a brain fart when it comes to fixing one. I see what you are trying to do, and I wish you the best of luck, but how many customers do you really think you are going to get. How many cars does your LHS sell in a day? Lets say they sell 10 in a day, my bet would be at least 7 of those are not new comers, so they pretty much know what they are doing. Of the remaining 3, I would bet 2 if not all 3 would want to put them together themselves. Just my 2 cents worth, good luck with your adventure and let us know if it takes off.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Cool A positieve perpective

Personally I think this is brilliant (in the back of my mind I have wanted to try something like this). I know a few friends that purchase RTR's or used cars because they don't want to assemble kits (for various reasons). And I can see a LOT of potential value adds and opportunities here...

> The car is assembled properly
> You can offer to match published setups at no charge
> Electronics/Radio installation and testing
> Installation of Hop-Ups
> Specialization into specific classes (VTA for instance)
> A total rebuild service

... once you start thinking about this, the list is almost endless.

The main downside is the high labor cost (in hours) required to get some RC Cars assembled and setup correctly and there's a learning curve with each and every chassis/class/brand you will have to go thought. You may be able to eventually assemble a TC6 in 2 hours, but your first one might take a day.

You would have to factor in early losses not just in time but in parts (until you learn how to do this perfectly for each chassis, you're going to break some customer parts).

Also you would have to come up with a system to deal with "you screwed up my car, I want my money back". Having somebody take their shiny new car out of the box, break it and them blame you WILL become a problem.

Pay no attention to Mr. "your business plan, will fail"; a hobby shop in my area charges $35 an hour (1 hour minimum) to work on RC cars and I have seen people come in there and pay that to have pinions and broken shock towers installed.

There IS a market for this...
Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i used to do this back in the day before the "rtr craze".

i worked at a hobby shop and when i was in the process of selling mom and dad on a kit for their kid i'd offer my services. this was back in 1990-1992.
i charged on average 50 bucks to put the whole shebang together, although the money wasn't that important to me, i just loved building kits.

i built so many tamiya kits i lost count. lol
Old 04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

There's a couple "Speed Shop" guys I've seen on here (Racecraft? Trackstar?) that do this very thing in addition to other services.

It's not gonna be a huge money maker but it would help offset the cost of your own racing expenses.

However, marketing it on here probably won't be that successful since most of the people that frequent this site are more seasoned racers. Like others said, your best bet is to get in with the local shop. Our local shop has a guy that does that, but I wouldn't let him install a pinion gear much less build my whole car.

There's plenty of guys out there (bashers mostly) that want nothing to do with the building/fixing.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Coming from the airplane side of things (F5B sailplanes) I would always use building services for those. Sometimes I just want a "pro" to do it and it is a time saver. I would perhaps recommend starting a website and builds for those who run on your track, so that you can post pictures of your work on it. In due time your reputation will increase as a reflection of the quality of your services, and things can only go up from there!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
I think its a good idea but i dont know if it can stand alone as a business. Maybe offer some other service like painting or maybe even open your open hobby shop. Planes might get more customers because those need to be fairly close to perfect when constructed. Hope it works out for you