Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first race! sorry for the long post

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FLATLINE XTR
There are no classes here or at least they wernt running any classes I wouldnt bother running in a class that I was not supposed to be in. Although I wont move over if I am a little bit slower than someone, its different if I am getting ready to get lapped, that's when the "giving way" happens.
Racing is all about being the slower guy and still placing well without being shady I.e.cutting people or hitting them or blocking. I wont give way to someone when I am racing them just because I have a stampede and he has a short track truck...hell to the no! That's what's its all about.
The only time you don't have to yield is in the final, the rest are qualifiers and you are racing the "clock", not each other so it is correct to run wide and let them through if someone is directly behind you.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
I have two sons, and to be honest, 5yrs old is TOO young to be on track as a marshal. Not becuase of the racing but becuase they have a hard time judging when it's safe and when it's not, they just want to help.

Ive seen that age run out onto a front straight becuase they just wanted to help. It's tough on him, I know, as dads it's horrible seeing them on the outside looking in and helping mum in the canteen just doesnt cut it.

Try and involve him cleaning the tyres, prepping the car and give him a job to do in garages to keep him busy and involved. Organising your tools, buy him a PIT mechanics shirt/cap and make him feel part of the engineering team. Try and explain to him that if he gets hurt because he is little, then the racing might stop altogether and drivers will be upset becuase they hurt him and everyone will go home.

Short course trucks arent exactly precision driving machines and a hit to the leg could be a disaster. Marshalling Nitro Onroad starts at 15 yrs old at our track.

He's only little..
He wasn't out on the track to marshall by himself I had him with me in the corner to understand how things worked and he did and he certainly wont run out like he did before! I don't that anyone can really say how old someone has to be to get into the HOBBY. If he can handle it, he can handle it. It would be different if it was a points race or timed race or anything but being what it was and where it was and the joy that we all saw on his face it was 100% ok.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blis
The only time you don't have to yield is in the final, the rest are qualifiers and you are racing the "clock", not each other so it is correct to run wide and let them through if someone is directly behind you.
Then what will running wide and getting out of the groove do for my time? It surely doesn't make it better. And if you can't come off of your line to pass then you can't call yourself a racer. You can't always expect everyone to tuck tail. You gotta be ready to race. I raced auto x for 3 years and I am fluent in course etiquite.
Is it about having fun or not?
If another racer is truly faster than me ie the lapped then of course I move but I wont give up position cause someone starts bitching because they think they are better than me because they have a more expensive truck than I do. Homie don't roll like like day.lol
Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by token
Like in all racing there are etiquettes. Move over if you are slower and DONT KNOW HOW TO HOLD YOUR LINE. Dont punt people off the track, and YES ALOT of people are very serious in the hobby. Many of us put in countless hours of wrench time and practice to get better and then you have someone that should not be in this class, all over the track getting in peoples way making them get off their line. NOT COOL. If this was a beginner/novice class then by all means, but dont show up to a track for the first time with a big head thinking your are "keeping up" with the fast guys.
just sayin.
Am I not allowd to be pleased that I can hang with a less expensive truck? If I wasn't "keeping up" with the "fast guys" how did I pull off second? Just not sure.
Inform...
just sayin...
ROTFLMAO
Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53
Racing etiquetteis getting harder to find these days...with all the short course trucks taking over
Lame quote of the day right there. If it's such a problem why is no one doing anything about it? It's everyone's job to teach proper etiquette.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

To the OP, just be aware... You seem just like me, you take R/C as a HOBBY, because it's a hobby... Grown men playing with toy cars should NEVER be taken too seriously. That said, some take it EXTREMELY seriously. I guess I get it, I mean, everyone's different, and some people just take R/C as seriously as collecting art, or 1:1 scale racing. At any rate, we're all racing together, and these "hardcore racers" need to realize that even if they've spent all week wrenching on an R/C, you can still EASILY lose to someone who just walked in a few weeks ago given the nature of the hobby.

Just take the hardcore guys with a grain of salt. That's what I do every week. Don't let them get to ya...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah that is what I am figuring too. If you take it to the extreme where you are livid when you lose, it's time to get another hobby. None the less I am going back next week (with a new suspention arm) and different gearing setup with the intent to give the ringer a run for his money...lol or just to have some more fun! Trying to find some better tires for packed dirt though.
Only having 2wd did hurt me but I learned what I need.
And it is a hobby to me, but more so it is time to spend with my son, and that is what really matters to me.
This is something where I just want to keep the trucks running so that we can go out back and play and go to the track every other weekend or whatever. Not looking to go super big and bad but I will eventually go lipo but nothing crazy.
My son's 5 and I got us a couple trucks to screw around with and go have fun and that is all. If we win, we win, if we don't, we don't no big deal. My aim is fun and spending time with my boy.
And again I wanted to post this to say thanks to everyone for making it possible for my son and I to have this much fun!!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FLATLINE XTR
Then what will running wide and getting out of the groove do for my time? It surely doesn't make it better. And if you can't come off of your line to pass then you can't call yourself a racer. You can't always expect everyone to tuck tail. You gotta be ready to race. I raced auto x for 3 years and I am fluent in course etiquite.
Is it about having fun or not?
If another racer is truly faster than me ie the lapped then of course I move but I wont give up position cause someone starts bitching because they think they are better than me because they have a more expensive truck than I do. Homie don't roll like like day.lol
As we rotate starting order in quals its often the case a faster car is waiting for a slower one to yield rather than risk the tap and both losing time. If a car is 1 second quicker per lap it could mean he doesnt have the speed to go around the outside so the simple etiquette of opening the gap will only lose .5 overall instead of holding up another qualifier for 15 seconds and potentially a whole lap over the qualifier. If you truly believe it's your entitlement to hold up other cars in a qualifier you won't me making many friends in the sport.

PS: Allow me to re-iterate... I did say QUALS... and a 5 year old .. on track.. ok man.. I leave it to your signature to judge, Im outa this thread!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

If it was an important race or something it would be so very different. This was a anyone that wants to race drop a car on the track and go. If someone at the race were to say "hey in the next race if I or someone else is barreling down on you could you run wide so we can get past please?" Well then he'll yeah...you talk about race etiquette and I think that before that there is a certain amount of personal etiquette that is involved.
What if I went to the track for.the first time and I was 12 years old and got out there, didn't yield and other people started saying the garbage that these two did? I think it would be hard for me to go back and PLAY/RACE. Don't you? I thought you guys (not all enthusiests included) were supposed to be a good fun and helpful groups to be involved with. The minority of the guys at the track were and it was so cool being the "new guy" and getting help and pointers from almost all of the guys there.
I do feel that it is my right to make fun of douche bags (because there have only been 2 so far) because it doesn't seem like they are there to have fun anymore. That's what im here to do.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

So your saying the track you race at do not have certain classes? Here we have about 20 different classes. Including one for people with non-raced chassis (stampede).
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Lame quote of the day right there. If it's such a problem why is no one doing anything about it? It's everyone's job to teach proper etiquette.
...You're right...Maybe I should make a thread about proper race etiquette...hmm
Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by token
So your saying the track you race at do not have certain classes? Here we have about 20 different classes. Including one for people with non-raced chassis (stampede).
That is correct. I imagine as the track gets bigger and more people start going to it that more classes will start popping up and they will make a true class for me to race in.