Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
throttle trouble shooting >

throttle trouble shooting

throttle trouble shooting

Old 09-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default throttle trouble shooting

Can anyone please offer suggestions? I have an HPI rally, that I was running around in the streets with today. Smacked sideways into one of those embedded street reflectors and kept on truckin. Soon enough the batteries wore down and I noticed that the throttle was acting funny. I would press the trigger all the way and notice that the car wasn't going anywhere. I repeated pulling on the trigger a few more times and still nothing. I decided to try recharging the batteries and see what would happen.

With a new battery installed, same thing happened. Trigger was depressed to full throttle and still no response. The wheels still turn with the steering, so I know that's fine. I gave the car a little push with my foot and off it went, responding the modulations in throttle I was feeding it as normal. If I let up off the throttle all together and there was still momentum in the car, pressing the throttle again would keep the car rolling. Once the car is at a dead stop there's no movement. I've spun all the wheels independently to see if there was something (like a big rock) stuck between the wheel and the a-arms but everything was smooth. Nothing in the gears or the belt. none of the wires seems to be loose either.

Any ideas?
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

you may have stripped a few teeth off a gear, check that.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default gears ok

ctardi,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the gear teeth and they all look ok. Everything seems to still mesh just fine and there is no obvious spacing I see while manually turning the gears over.

Any other suggestions? I thought maybe I may have put a short in something, but I figured if I did, then I would get any throttle response period, even after a gentle nudge.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Check the wiring for any loose connections.. Other thing check the motor if the brush is in good contact with the comm check the spring of the brush.. One last thing if your using sidexside configuration batteries they may be shorting somewhere in the chassis or to other wires.. Check them very closely....
Old 09-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default motor check

Wency,

I checked all the wiring for loose connections and everything seems to be rock solid. I also checked all soldered connections and those seem to be solid as well. I use a stick pack that's sealed in the plastic casing.

As for checking the comm, does that mean taking the motor casing off? The so-called bell cannister?
Old 09-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default up-ity

Bump
Old 09-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: motor check

Originally posted by dubwb
Wency,

As for checking the comm, does that mean taking the motor casing off? The so-called bell cannister?
yup!... just be carefull not to miss your current motor setting..
Old 09-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Default what is the status now?

are you okay now with your engine?

mop
Old 09-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default up and running

mop_iko et al,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just got to work on the car this evening and indeed it was just a matter of cleaning the comm's a bit with sandpaper (not sure if that's the recommended method or not, but it did the trick).

I noticed the comms were kinda charred looking so I cleaned them up some. Hooked everything back up and viola!

Problems solved.