Community
Wiki Posts
Search

would this break my rc car? toy grade rc car help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not sure of the age, skill or income abilities of ThePlasticBling but I do think going the hobby route would be best. Wanting to add a 9v shows just the right tinkering mind for this hobby.

To answer the question at hand, I think the 9v conversion would fry the circuit board, based on what I have seen of New Bright.

Why go hobby grade?
(tl;dr alert)
Much of my youth was spent begging and saving for the next new Nikko or Tyco r/c due out for xmas or summer. Countless hours were spent looking at the toys r us flyers that came in the mail, wondering if this next new car I was hoping to get was going to go faster on 8 AA batteries. When Tyco came out with the 9.6v rechargeable packs it was like the heavens opened, all I had to do was wait hours for it to recharge instead of days for my parents to get more batteries. All that time and money would have been put to much better use invested in a hobby quality vehicle. I was 10 or 11 when I received my first "real" r/c car, the Futaba FX10. Even being the most entry level of the time it was still light years ahead of anything I had previously. Now going faster meant a new motor for a fraction of the cost of a toy r/c. Don't get me wrong the toys serve a purpose, to teach you control skills and orientation and I took apart everyone that broke or wasn't handed down to my brother to see how it worked. They were all the same, circuit board, antenna and motor and not a damn thing else to do with it. Yes coyote answered your question but I think the time could be better spent reading up on some entry level RTR's that interest you. If you are into r/c now, wait until you go hobby grade, you'll be hooked for life! Welcome and good luck!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
Not sure of the age, skill or income abilities of ThePlasticBling but I do think going the hobby route would be best. Wanting to add a 9v shows just the right tinkering mind for this hobby.

To answer the question at hand, I think the 9v conversion would fry the circuit board, based on what I have seen of New Bright.

Why go hobby grade?
(tl;dr alert)
Much of my youth was spent begging and saving for the next new Nikko or Tyco r/c due out for xmas or summer. Countless hours were spent looking at the toys r us flyers that came in the mail, wondering if this next new car I was hoping to get was going to go faster on 8 AA batteries. When Tyco came out with the 9.6v rechargeable packs it was like the heavens opened, all I had to do was wait hours for it to recharge instead of days for my parents to get more batteries. All that time and money would have been put to much better use invested in a hobby quality vehicle. I was 10 or 11 when I received my first "real" r/c car, the Futaba FX10. Even being the most entry level of the time it was still light years ahead of anything I had previously. Now going faster meant a new motor for a fraction of the cost of a toy r/c. Don't get me wrong the toys serve a purpose, to teach you control skills and orientation and I took apart everyone that broke or wasn't handed down to my brother to see how it worked. They were all the same, circuit board, antenna and motor and not a damn thing else to do with it. Yes coyote answered your question but I think the time could be better spent reading up on some entry level RTR's that interest you. If you are into r/c now, wait until you go hobby grade, you'll be hooked for life! Welcome and good luck!
A very good prespective as well. I was so disappointed when my wife bought home a RC toy and my first thought (being a balsa model glider builder in the 80s) was "you beauty
', Ill pinch the receiver and servos and build something decent. Only to find out there werent any servos, the receiver was a circuit board and servo motors were mounted on a plastic chassis.

Indeed anyone tinkering with the mindset to enhance performance has the hook for RC and well worth looking into second hand market as well and enjoy a race bred chassis for under 100 and start with a simple RX/TX and budget servos. If were local I'd donate an old chassis and parts to get them up and running.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if I may butt in without getting OT,

thinkering with toy-grade RC and making them ran fast or even work like a hobby-grade rc is really fun and challenging for some people (like me).

in fact, what is interesting with toy-grade RC in the 1/24 to 1/32 scale is that they work like a "budget" kyosho mini-z.

kyosho mini-z is a really not a toy but rather a big-boys toy (hobby grade).

if one will enjoy upgrading a toy-grade RC and in the process stripped the gears or motors... it can always be converted to use mini-z parts.... upto the point of eventually using the electronics of a mini-z as an ultimate upgrade.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with Coyote, for some peopple it's all about the challenge.
Despite the fact that i own a sweet jato 3.3 i spend a good amount of time looking at what my girlfriend gave me for my birthday, a toy grade subaru Impreza, i love that little rascall, wondering what parts sohould i buy to upgrade it and left the guys at the track with their jaws in the ground. making a new chassi with an old tin plate that is laying around, get a kick ass brushless, put a couple of lipos in there...ahhh that's the stuff

Hell, i'll start up this project =D
Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Why go hobby grade?
(tl;dr alert)
Ha! I had a Nikko RC car, thought it was awesome. Then I got a Tamiya Fox and upgraded from the wiper speedo to a real esc, thought I really doing it hi-tech then... but as for the thread, everyone is right about it being a waste of time to mess with anything short of a "real" RC car, but there is definitely no need to mess with the guy either. It used to make me laugh when I went to races and you had the guys that spent so much on mega-buck equipment, acting all smug and high-brow about there set-up. Dudes like that wouldn't talk to anyone, especially a "noob". Not accusing anyone here of that , but really the hobby doesn't go anywhere if new people aren't given the chance.

I think a rtr Losi mini / micro of some sort is what this guy might need to get started, I mean heck you can actually make those things rip with a little work.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Ha! I had a Nikko RC car, thought it was awesome. Then I got a Tamiya Fox and upgraded from the wiper speedo to a real esc, thought I really doing it hi-tech then... but as for the thread, everyone is right about it being a waste of time to mess with anything short of a "real" RC car, but there is definitely no need to mess with the guy either. It used to make me laugh when I went to races and you had the guys that spent so much on mega-buck equipment, acting all smug and high-brow about there set-up. Dudes like that wouldn't talk to anyone, especially a "noob". Not accusing anyone here of that , but really the hobby doesn't go anywhere if new people aren't given the chance.

I think a rtr Losi mini / micro of some sort is what this guy might need to get started, I mean heck you can actually make those things rip with a little work.
Yeah I hear ya and I also see it where I fly my r/c planes with balsa vs foam, heli vs planes, scale vs 3D, it goes on.

I don't think any one here is trying to be snooty here about going hobby grade but based on the first post the OP sounds very inexperienced r/c wise, we definitely need more info as to skill level and monetary status to provide accurate recommendations.

Toy level r/c's are absolutely necessary in my opinion to provide an introduction to the sport. I feel they jump to the other end of the spectrum and become something for the more advanced modeler to tinker with and develop when it comes to modding them. Based solely on the first post I think you are dead on with your mini/micro recommendation as they can be driven almost anywhere by anyone and are a blast. I hope PlasticBling will chime in again and give us a little more insight as to what the situation is. I think he/she will find this a very helpful community.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Yeah I hear ya and I also see it where I fly my r/c planes with balsa vs foam, heli vs planes, scale vs 3D, it goes on.

I don't think any one here is trying to be snooty here about going hobby grade but based on the first post the OP sounds very inexperienced r/c wise, we definitely need more info as to skill level and monetary status to provide accurate recommendations.

Toy level r/c's are absolutely necessary in my opinion to provide an introduction to the sport. I feel they jump to the other end of the spectrum and become something for the more advanced modeler to tinker with and develop when it comes to modding them. Based solely on the first post I think you are dead on with your mini/micro recommendation as they can be driven almost anywhere by anyone and are a blast. I hope PlasticBling will chime in again and give us a little more insight as to what the situation is. I think he/she will find this a very helpful community.
Yeah for sure, if homeboy/girl is reading then chime in. Aside from micro / mini, now that full-on race spec SCT has come into play, you should be able to find a basic 2wd Slash RTR in decent shape on the cheap. Flavor of the Month is the budget RC dudes blessing. Take for instance: I picked up a nice Academy SBV2 Pro 4WD buggy on ebay recently.... shipped TTD 58 bux. If I set it up right and put some wheel time in, no doubt it will run with most anything on a club level. Point is to not let $$$ get in the way of fun, if you got it, cool- if not, there is still options.

I remember helping a dude (total noob/basher) get his car tightened up one time at a club race, he went from spin-out mania to actually pulling some decent laps. I enjoyed seeing that, and really it took such little effort to lend a hand . So why not???
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Tech Rookie

wow
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

hey guys ,

im new here.

i have a shockwave redcat nitro buggy , but the spur gear got damaged so that to the shops for repair.

so i bought a rc toy truck to play around for a few days which was fun .

but today i really bashed lil trucky and it would not move anymore , i opened it up till the micro dc motor and smelled that i had burned it .

i was wondering what if i put in a spare micro motor with higher rpm?? will that make my car go faster( i will use same volt motor but with higer rpm )? its not more volts so would not damage the electronics right??
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,

i am also new here.

to start off i have a redcats shockwave nitro buggy but that has gone for reapair due to a broken spur gear.

so to blow off steam i bought cheap rc truck ( electric) and today after 3 days i burnt the motor ( micro dc motor )

i was wondering if i buy another micro dc motor but with higher RPM would that make my car go faster?? doesnt matter if the gears die. it has to hold me for a few days more till i get shockwave back .
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Arrow

Originally Posted by ThePlasticBling
hi im new here. i need help with a toy rc car. i got a small new bright rc car from walmart yesterday. The car itself holds 3 aaa batteries. what i want to do is make it go a little faster. Heres my question. I want to go to radio shack and get a 9v snap connector and then use that to power the rc car. I would unsolder the points that connect the 3 aaa battery holder and then solder the 9v snap connector to those points. would this work? would the car go faster? or would it fry / break it? Also, would it strip the gears in the motor?

thanks for the help

oh, btw, the motor is 27mhz
YES it will damge the gears and motor if you want it to go fast without damaging anything you could get another motor that will go faster at radioshack and you may need to modify the motor mount in order to fit the new faster motor. Also if you upgrade the motor you may also need change the gears. And last get the adecuate voltage running into the motor. Have FUN
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by blis
Good answer Coyote

As for everyone else bagging him... Give him one of your old chassis and stop mocking someone who's enjoying our hobby. Ya'll sound like a bunch of elitists with little or no constructive input
+1 i totally agree with u man
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Upgrades to cheap rc cars

make a battery pack, they have kits. Use good batteries to sustain performance. Rig better/bigger tires for ground clearance. Rig better shocks for added control. dont mess with the steering arm. Tear the whole thing apart! You'll prolly destroy 2 or 3 r/c as you learn how they work. (At least that's what i have done so far) DO NOT change voltage/add extra batteries That is a chocolate No No. Find a better engine in another rc car and tear it out, rig it up. The thing is to get these little upgrades will nickel and dime you all the way up to $80. so be crafty, and have fun!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Rookie

ha! A cell phone battery, mines 3.7v. But still, it could run a little engine, like on a boat or somethin!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i hope you know that this thread is 2yrs old jarrett. i would like to say that the person that started this thread would have already bought a hobby grade r/c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.