Spur Gears

Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Spur Gears

Would investing in a carbon fiber or steel spur gear be a good idea for someone who is backyard bashing? The reason I ask is that I stripped my first spur gear pretty bad. I was running it in the drive way and in the grass and it quit on me going up-hill. The tires still spun when i hit the throtle when off the ground but went no where when it was on solid ground, opened up the gear box and saw my spur gear was pretty much flat. I'm thinking that the motor was pushed forward when it hit the ground from a flip. So any way again the question is wether or not I should get a harder spur gear for my situation?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamie.21
Would investing in a carbon fiber or steel spur gear be a good idea for someone who is backyard bashing? The reason I ask is that I stripped my first spur gear pretty bad. I was running it in the drive way and in the grass and it quit on me going up-hill. The tires still spun when i hit the throtle when off the ground but went no where when it was on solid ground, opened up the gear box and saw my spur gear was pretty much flat. I'm thinking that the motor was pushed forward when it hit the ground from a flip. So any way again the question is wether or not I should get a harder spur gear for my situation?
well have found out that a $3 spur gear is easier to replace and is cheaper then replacing gears or pins inside the transmission. And if your motor moved and stripped your plastic spur gear it would have eventually did the same to a metal spur gear over time if it wasn't fixed right away. IMO properly set pinion and plastic spur gears will last a long.

BTW what are running?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm running a Hpi E Firestorm flux brushless. It has a 5700kv motor, Flux motiv ESC, and have a 2s 5000mah 40c lipo battery. It's all stock, I'm sure I need to tighten the bolts all around and lighten up on the lead finger. I saw the other spur gears made out of the materials mentioned and thought it may be a good option, but if it's just better to replace the $3 part then thats what I'll do for now.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

yeah just make sure you set the correct mesh/backlash and always have extra spurs and pinions on hand. not sure if it comes on the truck but you can get some lock washers to help keep the motor in place. and I'm just wondering if you know how to set the gear mesh?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by team jeremiah
yeah just make sure you set the correct mesh/backlash and always have extra spurs and pinions on hand. not sure if it comes on the truck but you can get some lock washers to help keep the motor in place. and I'm just wondering if you know how to set the gear mesh?
whats the proper way i use a piece a paper and smash it between and tighten my motor and rotate the spur and it should be set then well its just what i do
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

yeah the paper way is a good start and works well with 32 and mod 1 pitched gears. IMO with 48 pitch gears there is a little to much backlash with the paper method. I usually set it where I can take the spur gear and move it just a little back and forth against the pinion. good contact between the gears and no unwanted drag.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IF you must use the paper method to set gear mesh, use receipt paper, it's thinner. No need for exotic spur gears IMO, with proper mesh stock gears should work just fine..
Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've read the owners manual on how to reset the spur gear so I'm good there. A lock washer sounds like a good idea. I'll ask the folks at my lhs tomorrow about the washers when I go get a couple spur gears. Thanks for the feedback.