Center Diff Oil >

Center Diff Oil

Center Diff Oil

Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Center Diff Oil

Hello everyone
Im new to this form as of today and I have allready learned so much from all the seasoned vets putting out there knowledge.

I have a question about center diffs, I bought a factory team RC8BE kit and the diff oil the kit supplied is a 5k cst for the front, rear and center diff.

I have not yet put oil in any of the diffs because I want to hear and understand whats the differance between heavier and lighter oils.
Whats better for what cercumstance and what combination would be better for a clay track vrs a backyard dirt track ?

Any input I would greatly appreciate thanks !
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This should help

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...25&postcount=4

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=24&page=1

I like 573 or 773 in my RC8Be.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As far as diff oils go. A heavier front diff oil will give you more on-power steering. This is good if you drive your buggy harder out of a corner. On the downside it will make your buggy push losing off-power steering. Going lighter will increase off-power steering into a corners. This is good if you prefer to drive harder into a corner. On the downside it will make you buggy push on-power.
For a heavier center diff oil will increase forward bite but will decrease off-power steering. The car will feel more direct. Now if you go lighter it will yield more mid-corner steering, but decrease forward bite. The motor will spool up but accelarating will be slowed.
On the rear if you lighter oil will increase steering meaning it will cause the buggy to rotate more decreasing traction. Going heavier will increase traction, but will push off-power steering, meaning you will lose steering going into a corner. Everything is a trade off. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Center diff oil

Ok that all makes aloft of sense, it is all a trade off.
So it's probably best to run the stock set up than, tweak it from there to adjust to my driving style. (why mess up something that I don't know how it preforms).

Thank you guys !
Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WPNpipSTAR
Ok that all makes aloft of sense, it is all a trade off.
So it's probably best to run the stock set up than, tweak it from there to adjust to my driving style. (why mess up something that I don't know how it preforms).

Thank you guys !
Well you can run the standard 5k oils. If you want to try it try 7k all the way around.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Ya I think I will try the 7k, I want more power steering in turn. One of the guys at my local hobbie shop told me to run a 100k? Seems extremly heavy considering what Iv been reading.

Most say if you want a aggesive ride maybe go with a 10k but 100k
Old 03-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Ya I think I will try the 7k, I want more power steering in turn. One of the guys at my local hobbie shop told me to run a 100k? Seems extremly heavy considering what Iv been reading.

Most say if you want a aggesive ride maybe go with a 10k but 100k
Dont run 100k in the front diff. You will have no off-power steering. Your buggy will not turn into a corner and will only push into the wall with 100k. If you want more off-power try going down to like 4k in the front diff. You can also shorten your front camber link to this will increase off-power steering.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Ya I wasnt considering it, it did seem right jumping that heavy. I put the standerd 5k in to run and see what I need to change if I need to at all.
Still waiting for my RX8-T8 2050kv to come in from AMAIN so once I run it ill let you know what I think.
Thanks again for the advise bro you have been very helpful
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Ya I wasnt considering it, it did seem right jumping that heavy. I put the standerd 5k in to run and see what I need to change if I need to at all.
Still waiting for my RX8-T8 2050kv to come in from AMAIN so once I run it ill let you know what I think.
Thanks again for the advise bro you have been very helpful
No problem.