Wiki Posts
Search

Been away for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Been away for a long time

I've been away from the hobby for about 15 years and thinking about getting back in to it. I've been doing a little research, and my how things have changed. When I was racing 2000mAh cells were the best you could get, the only brushless motor available wasn't allowed in any kind of class, anywhere, and the xxt-cr I was running was only a few years old design.

So, I guess what I'm wanting to know is what are the differences in brushed to brushless motors, lipo vs. nimh batteries, and the new 2.4ghz radios. Can a guy be competitive with some lower end stuff so he can save a few bucks up front? I don't mind spending money on quality gear, just don't want to break the bank to find out if I'm gonna like doing this again(although I will probably love it like I did before).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

I recently got back in myself after 15 yrs and I guarantee you will be amazed at how the hobby has changed. I bought a stock brushed slash-239.00. Two weeks later installed a Novak brushless-159.00. Next came Lipos and charger-175.00. And of course tires and other odds and ends. It is a ton of fun. The lipos and brushless make crazy speed.Expensive hobby but worth it. Im already plotting my next ride.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cheaper than golf, and far more exciting.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

I've been away from the hobby for about 15 years and thinking about getting back in to it. I've been doing a little research, and my how things have changed. When I was racing 2000mAh cells were the best you could get, the only brushless motor available wasn't allowed in any kind of class, anywhere, and the xxt-cr I was running was only a few years old design.

So, I guess what I'm wanting to know is what are the differences in brushed to brushless motors, lipo vs. nimh batteries, and the new 2.4ghz radios. Can a guy be competitive with some lower end stuff so he can save a few bucks up front? I don't mind spending money on quality gear, just don't want to break the bank to find out if I'm gonna like doing this again(although I will probably love it like I did before).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Whats up i'm racer53...i'll try and answer some of your questons...

The new batteries that every one is using are caled lipo's here's a link where you can read up on themhttp://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.htmlThe first thing a person worries about when using lipo are them suddenly bursting into flames.This will not happen unless the pack is SEVERLY damagded as the result of a crash or user error.LIPO'S WILL NOT BURST INTO FLAMES AT RANDOM.

You will need a lipo charger...I personally use the thunder ac6 off of www.hobbypartz.com is a balancing lipo charger that costs $55,Me and some friends use them and couldn't be happier...You will also find many others on this forum that really like this charger.

As for a place that you can purchase lipo's at a resonable price try www.hobbyking.com many people on this forum swear by thier turnigy lipo's.

Brushless motors are the ticket now in motor choice you will find everone that is not a rookie or racing in stock slash class will have one...The most popular models today are the Tekin systems.If you need a good site to order from check out www.amainhobbies.com they are a very respectable place to buy from.Back to the brushless system,compared to the older brushed models the brushless is mantinence free,faster,smother, and runs cooler when geared right.The tekin systems are popular because you can program them with a computer to gat the max preformance from the system.

You mentioned that you raced the xxt-cr...the popular buggies today are the team associated rc10b4,and the team losi xxxt-cr.Losi is also coming out with a new model called the 22.There are other brands that people race that aren't as popular such as the kyosho buggies,and the shumacher buggies.

2.4 ghz systems are what alot of people use these days because of the fact that they don't get interference from each other[no more messing with radio clips,or calling out frequencies]Some popular models that are less expensive are the spektrum dx3-s or the dx3-r.

As for you're last question about keeping up with older technology...To some extent you can, and it is the driver that counts, but i think you will find purchasing newer equipment will help alot in the long run.

You will find many people on here with MANY differant opinions, this is just mine...

Good Luck

Last edited by racer53; 03-25-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies/info. I can now make a somewhat educated guess to help myself start deciding what to purchase.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for all the replies/info. I can now make a somewhat educated guess to help myself start deciding what to purchase.
What type of car you looking at getting???
Old 03-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Welcome back man...Hope you have fun with it...
Old 03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer53
What type of car you looking at getting???
Was thinking about trying to find a decent used xxx-cr or BK2. I don't want to spend the extra money on something new if I decide I don't want to do this, lol.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Was thinking about trying to find a decent used xxx-cr or BK2. I don't want to spend the extra money on something new if I decide I don't want to do this, lol.
You can gennerally find a pretty cheap xxx-cr....might look around in the for/sale section of the forum

Good Luck
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

You can gennerally find a pretty cheap xxx-cr....might look around in the for/sale section of the forum

Good Luck
I've been looking on here and have seen some. They always get sold right before I send the PM though, lol. I'll find one soon enough though. I've been thinking about getting a Losi 22 when they come out in a couple weeks, but that's a lot of money for something that's gonna get thrashed and extremely beat up at first.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

I've been looking on here and have seen some. They always get sold right before I send the PM though, lol. I'll find one soon enough though. I've been thinking about getting a Losi 22 when they come out in a couple weeks, but that's a lot of money for something that's gonna get thrashed and extremely beat up at first.
Yah the 22 looks pretty slick, I can't wait to see one on the track.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Whats up i'm racer53...i'll try and answer some of your questons...

The new batteries that every one is using are caled lipo's here's a link where you can read up on themhttp://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.htmlThe first thing a person worries about when using lipo are them suddenly bursting into flames.This will not happen unless the pack is SEVERLY damagded as the result of a crash or user error.LIPO'S WILL NOT BURST INTO FLAMES AT RANDOM.

You will need a lipo charger...I personally use the thunder ac6 off of www.hobbypartz.com is a balancing lipo charger that costs $55,Me and some friends use them and couldn't be happier...You will also find many others on this forum that really like this charger.

As for a place that you can purchase lipo's at a resonable price try www.hobbyking.com many people on this forum swear by thier turnigy lipo's.

Brushless motors are the ticket now in motor choice you will find everone that is not a rookie or racing in stock slash class will have one...The most popular models today are the Tekin systems.If you need a good site to order from check out www.amainhobbies.com they are a very respectable place to buy from.Back to the brushless system,compared to the older brushed models the brushless is mantinence free,faster,smother, and runs cooler when geared right.The tekin systems are popular because you can program them with a computer to gat the max preformance from the system.

You mentioned that you raced the xxt-cr...the popular buggies today are the team associated rc10b4,and the team losi xxxt-cr.Losi is also coming out with a new model called the 22.There are other brands that people race that aren't as popular such as the kyosho buggies,and the shumacher buggies.

2.4 ghz systems are what alot of people use these days because of the fact that they don't get interference from each other[no more messing with radio clips,or calling out frequencies]Some popular models that are less expensive are the spektrum dx3-s or the dx3-r.

As for you're last question about keeping up with older technology...To some extent you can, and it is the driver that counts, but i think you will find purchasing newer equipment will help alot in the long run.

You will find many people on here with MANY differant opinions, this is just mine...

Good Luck
Ill go with your opinions, they sound good to me.. and add my 2 cents worth..

The Brushless side of the equation is that the electric motor is reversed. The coil now resides on the outside and the magnet on the inner and there are no contacts, instead there are sensors (tiny coils) on a board sensing the direction of the spinning magnetic rotor. In conjunction with an Sensored Electronic speed controller, the ESC switches the power on and off for timing where once an armature mechanically timed the current to the coil based rotor.

This means there are no moving parts apart from bearings at either end of the magnetic rotor. Less friction, better timing, no wear, less resistance, no brushes and more efficient causing less less heat (pending the gearing)

Modern speed controller also support digital timing options, boost etc, though be sure to read up on the class rules as not to buy am outlawed system.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Cheaper than golf, and far more exciting.
100% correct
Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you don't wanna drop money right off the bat on 2.4 there is guys out there running old radio systems with very few problems cause everyone else is running 2.4 we still have a couple old timers that swear by their am systems so don't be embarassed to run that to start with but 2.4 is well worth the money imo
Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I decided to just buy the Losi 22. They LHS had gotten 6 of them in yesterday. A buddy I talk to once in a while had a Traxxas 2.4 radio setup laying around that hes gonna let me use for a while. I picked up a Hobbywing motor and esc combo pretty cheap, and I've got a used Orion Lipo charger on the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.