Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
which one first?brushless or lipo >

which one first?brushless or lipo

which one first?brushless or lipo

Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default which one first?brushless or lipo

ok trying to decide which to get get first a brushless setup or lipos and a charger.I have a 2wd brushed slash xl5 with a lipo alarm.I'm thinking get the lipo stuff first for longer run times,but also want the brushless set up for more speed and less maintenance . I mostly just bash but maybe try a little racing once I get better at driving . now just looking for opinions.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well I think you're going to have to get the Brushless motor/esc first, as your brushed ESC will likely not handle a LiPo battery.

I'm not sure which ESC you have in your Slash, but I'd ensure it's LiPo compatible before you go hooking a LiPo up to it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default brushless or lip

I would suggest you look at the specifications of your brushed speed control and if it will support up to 8.4 volts(2s lipos are usually charged up to 8.4v), then I would go lipo first. I know all of my brushed speed controls work fine with 2s lipos (7.4), and I have a Tekin, Novak, and an LRP. I recently went through the same process after being out of racing for about 7 years. If you plan to race, you may want to go brushless soon after you go to lipo, depending on the rules and requirements of your local track classes. Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Brushless will get you a greater power increase.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The XL-5 is rated 4 to 8 cells so it will not have issues with the voltage of a 2S lipo. The newer XL-5s have a lvc now, you just have to activate it when you change to lipo. See your manual for the details.

Go lipo and get a good charger, then the brushless setup to go with it.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default I Agree...

Originally Posted by Duster_360
The XL-5 is rated 4 to 8 cells so it will not have issues with the voltage of a 2S lipo. The newer XL-5s have a lvc now, you just have to activate it when you change to lipo. See your manual for the details.

Go lipo and get a good charger, then the brushless setup to go with it.
I agree with Duster_360 if you already have a lipo cutoff built into the speed controller then I would go with the Lipo and good charger. You will gain more power and longer run time from a good lipo and charger. If you add a high power brushless system without having lipos to power it, you will not get the most from that investement.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm running a Kyosho Ultima SC. The stock esc can be programmed for either nimh or lipo's. My thoughts were, I'll get the Lipo's first... That will provide me with longer run times to improve my driving/control of the vehicle. Then, once I get to a point where my driving isn't the main limiting factor, then I'll switch to a higher powered, more responsive brushless system. Sort of a reward for putting in the time w/the old setup. The bonus is also less maintenance then!

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Go Lipo I bought Lipos for both a brushed set up on a Tamiya basher and a brushless for off road 2wd racing. the lipo on a tamiya 540 is like a running a 23 turn on NimH.

The lipos fall from 8.4v to 6.4v and you'll notice the power loss and stop running. i usually stop at about 6.8v becuase it just looses the awsome power. i don't run lipo cut off on the tamiya.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 AM
Tech Rookie

go for lipo and lipo charger for longer run time ....bashing with brushed until you are ready to handle more power , that time ..change to brushless ..just 1 cent ...