Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
car sugestions >

car sugestions

car sugestions

Old 09-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default car sugestions

i want to get a electric rc car and im on a simi-tight budget i want to race a 1/10 scale but i dont know what to get i am a beginner so nothing to extreme but i heard that the X-ray and TC3 are good but are they to expensive PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well you can get an Xray t1r for 180 and a RTR TC3 for like 200.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Are you looking to race or play? The Losi xxxs RTR is also a nice car,has a better radio system than the Associated TC-3 RTR.. And If you were looking to buy an Associated,Wait a few weeks and get the new TC-4,It should be in the $175 to $225 price range.Thats car only.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Rookie

i am going to race with it but probably not like evry weekend but yes i will race quite a while
Old 09-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If your on a budget the go second hand.

There is nothing wrong wih second hand gear as long as its been looked after.

Personally id be looking at ebay and on the for sale section here..
Old 09-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I agree with MrRolla, check out the for sale section. Check any place you can for used but in good condition items. If you lhs has a for sale board try their also. First you have to decide what kind of racing you want to do. then make sure they offer that class close to you. If there are people at your track that race different classes, ask them to try their vehicle if they will. That way you kind of get a feel for a class or to see if it fits your style. The decision for the type of class is all up to you. Don't let anyone tell you their is a beginner class cause there isn't. What I mean is their is spec classes with in the major classes. You just have to go with the class you want then, got into the spec class of the type of car you want to run. I hope I haven't confused you, sorry if I have. Also sorry for the long post.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 09-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Welcome to the hobby.

Second hand is a great way to start.

Ensure you get a decent charger from the very beginning. Greater performance and money saved in longer battery life. Look for linear charge with adjustable amp rate of at least 6 amps, adjustable peak detect and no trickle charge (or at least the option of disabling the trickle charge).

Also look for a brand, which is good supported locally - both at the LHS and at the track (that is, get a car raced by many others, this will ensure you can share their experience).
Old 09-12-2004, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

don't get a tamiya... i wasted alot of money for my TA04 SS PRO... that is if youre tight on budget...
Old 09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

2nd hand TC cars are great way to save money and to own one.. Better have your buddy to check it out first so that he may know if its worth to buy it or not (friendly suggestion). TF TC3 are great cars but if you like the RTR TC4 that would be one of the BEST thing to do and you won't go wrong with that.. Hope it helps.. WELCOME TO THE R/C WORLD !!! Happy racing..

Old 09-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It depends on part support in your area - but don't overlook a used Losi XXX-S or XXX-S G+.

I bought a used XXX-S as my first car this past spring, and I am starting to upgrade it to graphite now (only difference in XXX-S and XXX-S G+ is that G+ is all graphite - parts are otherwise identical).

The track I run at has a "Novice" class, which is the same as our "Pro Stock", except we run rubber tires. Since it is the novice class, there is quite a bit of banging, and my Losi has been pretty tough. I have broken an arm or two, but it has survived some pretty major crashes, too.

Good Luck!