Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Safe Lipo storage? >

Safe Lipo storage?

Safe Lipo storage?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Safe Lipo storage?

Ok so I got my first lipo packs today in the mail, and now they are sitting in a safe bag next to my desk... I'm eying them off cautiously, as if they might explode in to flames any second.

Where should I put these things so I can stop staring at them?

I haven't been able to put any conncetors on them yet so i cant plug them into my charger to check that they are at a safe storage voltage, but I assume that they would be sent at the storage voltage.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Read up on lipo'shttp://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.htmlThey're not as dangerous as most people think,give them the proper respect and you'll be fine...Credit to finding the link goes to Duster_360...
Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I store my Lipos inside a metal lunchbox.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well if your not going to use it often discharge them down to 3.3v per cell and put in a ziplock back and store in your frig. but if you mean for normal use then still keep at same voltage and just keep in a safe place your on a rc truck site so im guessing there hard cased? there still dangerous, dont throw them, drop them, or anything like that. lipos have came a very long way over the last 6 yrs
Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
Ok so I got my first lipo packs today in the mail, and now they are sitting in a safe bag next to my desk... I'm eying them off cautiously, as if they might explode in to flames any second.

Where should I put these things so I can stop staring at them?

I haven't been able to put any conncetors on them yet so i cant plug them into my charger to check that they are at a safe storage voltage, but I assume that they would be sent at the storage voltage.
Lipo danger is totally overhyped, as long as you don't do anything dumb with them, odds are you'll never have a prob from them. I'd advise borrowing a DVM/MM from somebody and checking the voltage now. I check all new ones I get as soon as I open the box. Most are fine, but you do occasionally find one with a low cell - sooner you find that out the sooner you can deal with it and get a replacement. For some sellers, soldering the plug means you own it whether its good or not. You want to be sure its good before then.

Everyone in this hobby should have a DVM/MM as part of their tools, Cheapies do a fine job, I paid $1.95 for mine and it gets used a bunch. Get one!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Talking

As long as you keep them out of your microwave and make sure not to leave them lying around in the middle of any major highways you should be okay. A fireproof bag or metal box is a good start
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53
Read up on lipo'shttp://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.htmlThey're not as dangerous as most people think,give them the proper respect and you'll be fine...Credit to finding the link goes to Duster_360...
Thanks for that link. Everything you could want to know about lipos really.

Thanks for the comments guys, I have a mm around here somewhere... I'll check those packs.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by epoweredrc
put in a ziplock back and store in your frig.

That's a first. We're not talking about veggies here. What's a ziploc bag gonna do? And the cold of the fridge can't be good for them.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The ziploc is to prevent condensation on the lipo when you pull them out for use - I let mine stand, in the bag, for a full 24hrs before charging and putting them back into service.

And as a longer term storage method, I've not read, seen or heard of a better one. FYI - the big lipo guys like TP and Hyperion use refrigerated storage.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I know I won't be racing for a bit, I make sure my batteries are at a storage charge and then I put them in the fridge. If someone were to look in my fridge right now, they would find only beer, wine(a gift) and LiPos Oh I think there might be some Ketchup in there too.

~Single guy
Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

If I know I won't be racing for a bit, I make sure my batteries are at a storage charge and then I put them in the fridge. If someone were to look in my fridge right now, they would find only beer, wine(a gift) and LiPos Oh I think there might be some Ketchup in there too.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

Originally Posted by racer53

Great info in that link...... learned a lot reading that write up. Thanks for posting this link, I will need to pass it along to my father.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

great link!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrokings
great link!
Had a quick read.. and yes an awesome write up, the thing that prevents me buying cheap ones is that they give off Oxygen and there's nothing that's going to stop a fire if one starts, hence I buy the best I can, it's just too dangerous otherwise.