R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   SCT 2wd vs 4wd (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/493597-sct-2wd-vs-4wd.html)

microracer25 03-18-2011 11:53 AM

SCT 2wd vs 4wd

Which is better for a rookie off road racer? 2wd or 4wd SCT? It seems from what I have read, SCT seems like a good place to start.

sneako 03-18-2011 12:04 PM

2WD

I say 2WD - cheaper to run and less maintenance.

ChiMiniRC 03-18-2011 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sneako (Post 8822810)
I say 2WD - cheaper to run and less maintenance.

Ditto but Traxxas Slash (to be more specific) , cheaper to run and easier to maintain. Plus the odds of there being a spec 2wd Slash class are high. That keeps the investment low as hopup investments will be minimal in a spec class.

microracer25 03-18-2011 12:59 PM

What about 2wd buggy? Seems to be making a comeback at most tracks, but I have heard they are difficult to drive?

ChiMiniRC 03-18-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by microracer25 (Post 8823002)
What about 2wd buggy? Seems to be making a comeback at most tracks, but I have heard they are difficult to drive?

They are harder to drive. For a beginner, short course seems perfect to me these days.

If specifics help, 2wd buggy is going to require more finesse and proper line up of jumps. It won't be as forgiving as point and shoot jumping. Sideways landings or coming off the ramp at an angle are amplified. Based on how the industry went with "Stadium trucks" (Buggies with bigger tires) and "Truggys" (At least these didn't hide the uggy this time, it's a buggy with bigger tires), I'd say there is something to learn from the trend in terms of drivability.

2wd buggy is fun and if that is what most folks are driving, then go with the crowd. But if the questions is a simple "Which is easier to drive?". Then I'd say SC.

microracer25 03-18-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChiMiniRC (Post 8823054)
They are harder to drive. For a beginner, short course seems perfect to me these days.

If specifics help, 2wd buggy is going to require more finesse and proper line up of jumps. It won't be as forgiving as point and shoot jumping. Sideways landings or coming off the ramp at an angle are amplified. Based on how the industry went with "Stadium trucks" (Buggies with bigger tires) and "Truggys" (At least these didn't hide the uggy this time, it's a buggy with bigger tires), I'd say there is something to learn from the trend in terms of drivability.

2wd buggy is fun and if that is what most folks are driving, then go with the crowd. But if the questions is a simple "Which is easier to drive?". Then I'd say SC.

Thanks for the info. Its hard not to look at 2wd with the B4.1 and the new 22 coming out. SC does seem like a good place to get my feet wet.

TocSin 03-18-2011 04:06 PM

For a newer driver, the short course trucks are a lot more durable. The 1/10 scale buggies won't take a lot of abuse or bad landings before breaking something.

I'd also recommend starting with 2wd. They are a little harder to drive, but they'll teach you throttle control, and once you master a 2wd, 4wd is a cakewalk.

T. Herwig 03-18-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by TocSin (Post 8823686)
For a newer driver, the short course trucks are a lot more durable. The 1/10 scale buggies won't take a lot of abuse or bad landings before breaking something.

I'd also recommend starting with 2wd. They are a little harder to drive, but they'll teach you throttle control, and once you master a 2wd, 4wd is a cakewalk.

+1

Larrydewalt17 03-19-2011 01:36 PM

agree 2wd:nod:

per4m28 03-19-2011 04:19 PM

No Doubt.....SCT