Wiki Posts
Search

Question about gear diffs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default Question about gear diffs

I guess I am kinda newer to this part of RC.

Got my first 4wd buggy ( Thunder Tiger XB ) and it comes with sealed gear diffs.

After turning the car wheels by hand and driving it for a few races, i want my diffs to be more stiff ( I am guessing that is the word I am looking for ).

Last night I was having some problems with the front diff, so i took everything apart. Inside is a all metal gear setup, ( very nice I was shocked ). So I cleaned out the nasty brown grease ( just like rear end grease on a 1:1 car )
and filled the diff with LOSI 90WT shock oil.

It seems to feel much smoother and gives better diff action.

Can I use shock oil? Should I go thicker? Can I go to thick and what will it do to the handling of the car?

Thanks for all the responses in advance.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ideally you want to use diff silicone oil. they have different weights for different feels.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

In a diff you DEFINITELY want fluid. Most people now run silicone diff fluid. It's available in a variety of consistencies, each of which will directly affect the performance of your diff.

In my Losi XXL and my Ofna buggy I run 50K fluid. (Yes, 50,000wt) silicone fluid. This stuff is thick, and basically "locks" up the diffs. Great for bashing, which is all I do with these cars. For more of a slipping diff feel, you'll want to go with a thinner fluid.

In my CD3 I just have automotive grease in the rear, and a 50K in the front. I like the thick stuff up front, as it locks up the front end, and gives me good corner exit speed.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is an article on tuning that style diff - use diff oil and not shock oil. 90 wt is way too light, you'll prob want to use something like 5k-7k wt oil.

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5050