Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Lubricating the motor and comm >

Lubricating the motor and comm

Lubricating the motor and comm

Old 08-23-2004, 06:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Lubricating the motor and comm

Hi all

I was practising this weekend and I now have found out that you apparently need to lube the electric motor and comm. Can you guys please tell me more about this?

Also will this make the car run a little quieter and what kind of performance improvement does it make or is is it mainly a maintenance thing.

Regards
Old 08-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

You should clean your motor after every run using motor spray. After cleaning, oil the bearing or bushing on the endbell and can.

All you do is put a couple small drops of oil on each.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Re: Lubricating the motor and comm

Originally posted by tl-01-jhb
Hi all

I was practising this weekend and I now have found out that you apparently need to lube the electric motor and comm. Can you guys please tell me more about this?

Also will this make the car run a little quieter and what kind of performance improvement does it make or is is it mainly a maintenance thing.

Regards
I would only do this cleaning and oiling after ever run on big events. You must first be driving perfect lines before you notice the performance loss, if there are any.

Also, bushing oil and comm drops are different. Make sure you use the correct one as you will end up slower.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is it a right thing to do... putting lubricant oil or grease on the comm and brush?.. i used to spray WD40 on those and the motor sparks and creates a tiny awesome blue flame!!! that's bad right?..
Old 09-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Bud
Tech Master

Yeah, blue flames are bad. You only want to put com drops on the com. You can wash it with motor spray but don't lube it with anything except com drops. You can use any light machine oil on the bushings or bearings. I use 3 in 1 oil. There's probably better stuff to use if you're racing but 3 n 1 will work.

Bud
Old 09-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Don't use anything on the comm it will just dirty it up quicker. I've tried a few comm drops and they did nothing anyway. Keeping your motor clean is very important!