Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Lipos and Lipo Chargers >

Lipos and Lipo Chargers

Lipos and Lipo Chargers

Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eddiebrown View Post
i am totally new to the hobby and that is the exact question that i was trying to figure out as well . anybody ?
LOL You crack me up.... Did you bother to read the post 13, or are you yanking on my chain?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Normally sensored brushless motors are listed by turns, 17.5, 13.5, 10.5, etc. Sensorless motors are listed by Kv.

Stock racing normally requires a sensored motor, most recommend a sensored motor and speed control (ESC) for all racing. Better low speed control, and more consistent starting (less of an issue with high Kv/low turn motors, and varies some by brand).
I think that is a good explination of it all. In my experience the motor ratings (KV vs. turns) have more to do with the wind pattern than sensored or sensorless. Exceptions exist within the marketing specs, but typically Delta wind motors are listed by KV and the wye winds are by actual wind.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
LOL You crack me up.... Did you bother to read the post 13, or are you yanking on my chain?

yes i did read your post , but it didnt answer the question that was ASKED .

Dave H did answer the question , thanks .
Old 02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eddiebrown View Post
yes i did read your post , but it didnt answer the question that was ASKED .

Dave H did answer the question , thanks .
I apologize. I came across as a total ass because I made some assumptions and tried to make a short explination of what can be a confusing topic.

To clarify:

The original question was asked in two parts:

1) how does one get the "T" rating on a motor?
2) Is there a simple way to determine a brushless motor's "T" rating?

I answered:
The "T" stands for the number of "TURNS" or times the wire is wound around to make an electro magnet in the motor.

My point being that the premise of the question was wrong. "T" it is not an arbitrary rating, but a physical specification of how the motor is built.

Keep in mind:
  • KV = K (for thousands) of RPMs a motor will turn per volt.
  • A "KV rating" is whatever a given manufacturer measured on some "random" motor(s) from their production and decided to publish. Most manufacturers of spec racing motors make competing products in the commonly accepted winds, However they almost never have an equivalent KV rating as the number is subject to a few variables that can be manipulated to make them look better than the competition.
  • A "KV rating" is an interesting reference point for theoretical top speeds with known gearing, but little else.

If you are looking to get into spec racing and the spec for your class states you need a 17.5T motor, don't bother looking into any product "rated" at some arbitrary KV with out the number of turns listed. If it does not say 17.5T on the motor or in the sales info, chances are it is not going to be a motor allowed for your class no matter what the KV rating is.

Last edited by 240Z; 02-18-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo