Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
some noobie advice >

some noobie advice

some noobie advice

Old 08-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default some noobie advice

First of all I want to say that I am a total noobie, 100% absolutly.

I have put an order in for a FW-05S and basically I want some advice that will see my car lasting more than 5 mins. I do have one specific question though.

I have a mate who runs a similar car and he tells me that when I get my car I will have to cut a big hole in the body so enough air will get to the engine to cool it. I am really against doing this because the only reason I am getting a car is because, well I like cars and I have no interest racing this 'car type thing', I want to race a little model car as accurate to detail as possible. (hence why I got a skyline body because I could not stand racing a 4WD car with a FR body ) Do I really have to chop up the stock Kyosho body? And if so why don't they come with holes in them already?

Also I guess I will have to put oil or something on the car, what kind will I need and where will I need it?

Just any tips you guys can give me to give me a heads up to problems I may run into would be great.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

The cars don't come cut, but you will need to cut it to get proper performance. The motor isn't water cooled, but cooled by air. The only way it works effectively, is to have air pass over the heat sink on top of the motor, so you need a hole in the windshield and back window to create an escape for the incoming air. Use a car wheel for the size in the windshield (that's a good diameter) and back window. The cars don't come with vent holes, not sure why, but probably so you can customize it to your needs.

The oil is already in the gas that is designated for the motor. Check your manual, but most likely, your car will need 20% nitro methanol gas that you can purchase at a hobby shop. It has oil in the gas. Do not use gas out of a car pump. Your motor is a two stroke like a dirtbike, which means it uses an oil and fuel mixture. To extend the life of the motor, you can choose to use after run oil. Just put a drop or two in the motor after your done for the day. Empty the car of all its gas, remove the glow plug, and add a drop or two of after run oil, this will keep the motor from drying up and lubed and keeps it from rusting too. Consult your manual.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Also, you'll need a hole for the glow plug access on the roof. It makes things easier when you start the car with the body in place. Many times cars stall and taking the body off and on just to access the plug is a pain. Don't get too attached to your body, it will get scuffed up and scratched pretty easy, especially if you're learning, so don't be disappointed. Some guys even put a hole so you can access the needles with a screwdriver, and cut the side windows out for better ventilation, etc. Good luck.