Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sealing nitro engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Sealing nitro engines

When sealing engines is it a good idea to seal the lsn and hsn? If yes would you use the same product to seal the backplate and carburator or something else?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If I understand your ques correctly, no, you'd use something diff to seal the HSN and LSN than you would to seal the backplate, carb, etc.

I used to use just ordinary white lithium grease for HSN and LSNs, but have started using AE green slime. Seems to works as well and may be better for the orings. I been using Lucky 7 to seal everywhere else. Its a wicking sealant so you don't have to take engine apart anymore.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Lucky 7 is a good seal. if you cant get any, some good ol grey rtv from vatozone will do. as far as sealing the lsn and hsn, like duster said, grease. if you have a probblem with the needles moving, try to knurle(sp?) the threads a little. I have even used a drop of blue loctite and it just makes it sticky enough to hold the needles from moving but still allows you to adjust them.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks you all for the info. I saw Squirrelod and some other people youtube videos on sealing engines and Squirrelod was the only one that said to seal the lsn and hsn. I was curious as to why only him said to seal the needles. Like you guys stated, he also said to use green slime. Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ive used rtv before to seal the needles. However I only put it between the oring and the needle.And just a tiny little bit is all you need. I use orange high temp rtv. Green slime is new to me but prolly better for sealing the needles. Anyways its good practice to seal everything up no matter the quality of the motors.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think a lot of folks just assume that the oring seal on the needles will prevent any leak and dismiss any need to do anything with them. I was using white lithium grease on mine cause they seemed to be dry and hard to turn.

Green slime is great stuff on shock seals - never had a seal prob when I've used it, so it was a natural choice for a needle oring.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes. Alot of people just assume. I always seal my motors before breaking them in. Ive only had two airleaks and they were from the front bearings. So do yourself a favor and seal it up!