Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Speed Control question >

Speed Control question

Speed Control question

Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Speed Control question

With a forward only speed control the reverse is replaced with a brake function? So when you would normally press the trigger the opposite way for reverse it would just slow the car down instead. There are forward/reverse speed controls that allow you to disable the reverse. I heard those are illegal to race with is that true? Is this all correct?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

yes, in forward/brake esc's, pushing the trigger forward will activate the brake. in some tracks, forward/reverse esc's are tolerated as long as the racer doesnt use reverse during a race. but it would be better to deactivate reverse (if the esc has that feature) so that you will essentially have a forward/brake esc.

there are also some esc's that have somewhat of a forward/brake/reverse function. i think this is the best of both worlds. at the first push of the trigger, brake is activated. and then, depending on the type of esc, reverse can be activated by either:

1. holding the trigger in that position for a couple of seconds until reverse kicks in or

2. returning the trigger to neutral and then pushing it again to reverse.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Thanks for helping clear that up.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

One thing to consider about reverse ESC's, is that their internal resistance is higher. That also apply, if the reverse is disabled.

If this is worth the concern depends on what the ESC is intended to be used for. For bashing, it wont matter much. Probably neither for casual racing. But from here and above, it will make a difference.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Regional Moderator

I like to do both. Race at the tracks and run up and down the streets. I was wondering if I should just get a forward only esc or a forward/reverse esc with the option disabling the reverse. But I hear that those are illegal too. I also run nitro so Im used to not having a reverse so I might just get a forward only esc.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

then you are talking to the hig end racing ESC. Get the keyence brand or the novak GT7 they are one of the great ESC out there and they are great co'z its a no motor limit esc...

happy racing...