Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Where do I start? >

Where do I start?

Where do I start?

Old 08-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Where do I start?

Ok, please bear with my lack of tech terminology, I am a newbie in training.

I just got handed to me a nitro rc truck/buggy (not sure the diffrence) and controller. (Radio?)
Anyways, I was told it is a decent truck but needs work. So far it cost me zero. It has been sitting for some time maybe a year or 2 or more.

potential Problems that I can see..
There seems to be fuel gummed up in the tank down by the fuel pickup. The shocks squeak a little when compressed, the air intake seems to be missing. The retainer for the 4 AA batteries is busted, the pull start doesn't pull easy at all. there is a black plastic gear that looks like it SHOULD be attached to a metal disc next to the motor.

I guess my questions are things like How do I know if the motor is still good. what kinds of things should I look for other than what I have seen listed above. What things should be replaced without even thinking? (Someone told me glo plugs and get a plug warmer??)

This is my first real rc that is not a "Radio Trash" or "Walmart" rc toy. Any words of wisdom or help would be great!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Where do I start?

Originally posted by luminadevil
Ok, please bear with my lack of tech terminology, I am a newbie in training.

I just got handed to me a nitro rc truck/buggy (not sure the diffrence) and controller. (Radio?)
Anyways, I was told it is a decent truck but needs work. So far it cost me zero. It has been sitting for some time maybe a year or 2 or more.

potential Problems that I can see..
There seems to be fuel gummed up in the tank down by the fuel pickup. The shocks squeak a little when compressed, the air intake seems to be missing. The retainer for the 4 AA batteries is busted, the pull start doesn't pull easy at all. there is a black plastic gear that looks like it SHOULD be attached to a metal disc next to the motor.

I guess my questions are things like How do I know if the motor is still good. what kinds of things should I look for other than what I have seen listed above. What things should be replaced without even thinking? (Someone told me glo plugs and get a plug warmer??)

This is my first real rc that is not a "Radio Trash" or "Walmart" rc toy. Any words of wisdom or help would be great!
The glow plug warmer is just battery powered clip on device that attaches to the top of the glow plug on top of the engine and makes it glow like a light bulb. You only need it to start the motor...once the motor is running you remove it.

If you can, take the head off the engine and inspect the cylinder and piston for rust or excessive wear such as deep grooves or scratches. If it looks mostly smooth and shiny then you should be ok.

Clean out the tank with nitro spray cleaner and get new fuel lines. Get a new receiver AA battery holder or get a rechargable "hump pack." The shocks probably need to be rebuilt and might need new seals or o-rings if they had rubber seals in them. A good aftermarket air filter like Motorsaver is a must.

It would be a good idea to get a definite answer on what brand and model of truck you have. Find your nearest hobby shop and take it in and ask them for advice.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, just started to pull this thing apart a little. This is my first tear down and I am not 100% sure of what I am looking at. BUT the motor has markings saying O.S. Max. I just pulled off the heat sync (That has the glo plug in it) I looked inside and it is still shiny. No rust noticed. But I can not get the piston to move up or down. The gear just to the motor side of the fly wheel will not turn. Could there be a varnish like seal from old fuel that would cause this? I am going to find a shop this week but would like to learn about these also so I do not get ripped off or pay someone to fix something that I might be able to do myself.

As far as the shocks go would it be easier / less expensive to just replace rather than rebuild?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Regional Moderator

If the pull starter is difficult to pull its possible your pull starter may be damaged. You should take that apart and look at it too. A flooded engine also makes it difficult to pull the pull starter but it is clear theres no fuel in the engine so it sound like its the pull starter or something preventing the whole engine from turning.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by luminadevil
Ok, just started to pull this thing apart a little. This is my first tear down and I am not 100% sure of what I am looking at. BUT the motor has markings saying O.S. Max. I just pulled off the heat sync (That has the glo plug in it) I looked inside and it is still shiny. No rust noticed. But I can not get the piston to move up or down. The gear just to the motor side of the fly wheel will not turn. Could there be a varnish like seal from old fuel that would cause this? I am going to find a shop this week but would like to learn about these also so I do not get ripped off or pay someone to fix something that I might be able to do myself.

As far as the shocks go would it be easier / less expensive to just replace rather than rebuild?
Its probaly cheaper to rebuild the shocks. But if they are baddly damaged or worn then now may be the best time to modify the shocks with better ones.

Last edited by nitrous36; 08-09-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Tech Rookie

How do I know if they are worn or damaged? What should I be looking for?

The O.S. Max also has 12 cv on the other side imprinted on it... Is this a good motor?

Last edited by luminadevil; 08-09-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Rookie

I just took off the pull starter and the coil spring inside shot out at me. The center of the wire is bent. Guess I will be getting a new one?

Also The radio is a Tower Hobbies System 3000 2tw proportional radio control system. looks to be AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Regional Moderator

What kind of car do you have? You can describe it to us and we can tell you have a stadiumtruck or buggy atleast. That will narrow it down to what kind of car you have. Nitro is easier than it looks. I got into nitro three years ago after running electric for awhile.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Regional Moderator

Here is some links.

This is a link to the O.S Engine site. you can get some more info hear about the engine you have.

http://www.osengines.com/

You can download and view the manual from your engine here if you didnt get one with yours.

http://www.osengines.com/manuals/index.html

If you want more help dont post here in the rookie zone alot of people dont look or post here. Post in the electirc & nitro offroad section you'll get more replies.

Last edited by nitrous36; 08-10-2004 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the tips. I found out this morning that this is a RC10 GT series. Not sure how old she is. I will start posting in the other sections with the next round of questions. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Regional Moderator

Thats a Team Associated truck. If you want to find out more about it go to teamassociated.com.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Try starting here first: http://www.rc10.com/shusting/Catalog...0GT_trucks.htm