Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Terminology help >

Terminology help

Terminology help

Old 07-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Terminology help

I'm trying to read up on it, but everyone is using acronyms, nicknames and abreviations. For instance, what exactly is an ESC? is that your motor? or, what's BEC? any other terms i might need to know would be appreciated too. Thanks for helping a noob out.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I had to read up to figure all that stuff out. But I'll help you out, because I know how frustrating it is to be a noob (hell, I'm still one).

ESC is Electronic Speed Control, which is the box that controls you're motor speed.

BEC is Battery Eliminator Circuit. What this does is uses power from the battery pack to run the receiver and steering servo in the car. If you want to use full power from your pack to run the motor, then you have to add a battery pack. I believe most radios come with this pack, but I got my car secondhand and it didn't come with it, so I had to build one. If you need help on building a pack, just shoot me an email. You can do it for about $3.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

k, thanks, anymore terminology would still be apreciated
Old 07-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, I don't really know what all you want to know. The general consensus is that there is no such thing as a stupid question, especially in the Rookie Zone. We all had to start knowing nothing, so we all know how you feel. Ask away.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

I was thinking of getting a separate battery just to power the servo and things so that all the power from the batt goes to the motor.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:41 AM
Tech Rookie

I'd ask, but the problem is I really don't even know enough to know what to ask, lol
Old 07-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Neil, I don't know if you bought your radio new or not, but if you did it should have come with a battery box to do that. All it is (usually) is a small plastic box that holds 4 AA batteries. It plugs into the top plug on your receiver, or at least it does on my JR. I know that several companies use the same plugs and receiver style as JR, so yours may be the same.

There's two advantages to using the box. First of all, it uses all of the battery pack power to run the motor. Secondly, it allows you to run more cells. Most receivers can only handle 7 cells. After that point, you have to use the battery box. When you do that, you can use more cells on your ESC. For example, my LRP 7.1 can handle 10 cells if you have your own power for the ESC. That extra two cells makes a big difference when you're whooping up on Nitros in a street race

The disadvantage is the added weight. In my case I don't really care, because that particular car is built for playing around, then adding the big dog pack to kill a Nitro or two. So the weight doesn't affect me. But if you're using it in a racing environment, you'd really have to consider what if any advantage you would gain by having the excess weight even though it frees up a little battery power.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Default there is a THREAD about RC dictionary

click this link

it will send you to a thread about RC dictionaries sites....

good luck!

mop
Old 08-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
I was thinking of getting a separate battery just to power the servo and things so that all the power from the batt goes to the motor.
This is esp. good for drifters (See my Sig under TL-01) It is hard to do with an esc though because some don't allow it
Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

heres another dictionary/glossary

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/cars/rcglossary.asp
Old 08-22-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Neil:
Your seperate battery idea is not new. In Touring cars, you usually have enough battery life to use some of that power for servo, so its not an issue, and there isn't enough power loss to be noticeable. Alos, if you want to race at a higher level, check the rule book on that one. But, in 1/12th scale 4 cell pan cars, its common, especially in modified when batteries become critical. For best perforamnce go with special tiny NiMh batteries that get done up in 5 packs. They're tiny and really light. I'm not sure what size they're called, but check the set ups of a lot of factory drivers, and you'll notice a lot of them use em. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

woah!!! those sites are cool... its like my brain had been strucked by a lightning... all of a sudden i know alot... awesome!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

NOSaholic, as for you signature, its funny. But yes, it is 2 extra cells painted blue did one for a friend with a 3 channel transmitter. Put a few diods in, so i don't blow anything up, and used a servo to nudge a a toggle switch. It's pretty cool actually.