Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newest of newb Slash ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newest of newb Slash ?'s

Been lurking for a week or so, now it's my turn! So far seems like a great forum with some good guys.

RC Background - there is none! My son (9 years old) and I race motocross and an RC car seems like a great way to pass some time at the races and in the backyard. So, in doing a little reasearch, got a Slash 2wd for him for Christmas. Figured it would be a great starter. Being a moto-dad, I have some mechanical abilities, but nothing remarkable. I also know nothing about RC.

Use - as mentioned, this will be rarely, if ever, taken to an RC track. This initially is to take to the mx races and play in the pits. I also plan on building a small goof around track with some fun jumps in the backyard.

Now for the questions (and remember my background!)
1. Looking at the truck, it seems like it has mostly everything in decent quality from the get go. I plan on getting a faster charger eventually, but for now are there any must's that I need to get?
2. I'm sure we will eventually upgrade parts/trucks, so here's my total newb question! What is the difference between brushed and brushless motors? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

I'm sure plenty more questions will arise after Christmas, but for now that will do. I'm also reading as much as possible right now, along with the owner's manual before he opens it. Thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Stock motors will last a lot longer if they are regularly cleaned (motor spray and just hose it out until the black stops coming out) and re-oiled - they use bushings and not bearings so a little light oil after cleaning and the motors as good as its going to get. The Titans are cheap, you might want to get a spare so you have it on hand when motor quits. Some last a while, some don't, just mass produced luck of the draw. If you're doing a lot of jumping, you'll prob want to get metal shock caps as the plastic ones tend to get blown off due to impact.

Brushless eliminates the brushes inside the motor and pretty much any and all maintenance that a brushed motor needs. They have sealed bearings and are much faster. They do require a brushless capable esc though and really benefit from lipo batteries.

I have 2WD Slash that I converted to brushless as soon as I took it out of the box.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

I figured since everyone else wanted brushless they were better. Makes sense now. I plan on getting that Velineon 3500 motor when this one goes out. Good idea? The esc that came on the truck is brushless ready and says for this motor, but I figured they just wanted to sell their brand. Not sure if you can only put this motor in or any brushless.
Thanks on the metal shock caps. Just the kind of info I'm looking for.

On the lipo deal, I think I'll stay away from those for now and stick with the NiMh. Don't want to mess with them for now for the ease of use.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdubracing
I figured since everyone else wanted brushless they were better. Makes sense now. I plan on getting that Velineon 3500 motor when this one goes out. Good idea? The esc that came on the truck is brushless ready and says for this motor, but I figured they just wanted to sell their brand. Not sure if you can only put this motor in or any brushless.
Thanks on the metal shock caps. Just the kind of info I'm looking for.

On the lipo deal, I think I'll stay away from those for now and stick with the NiMh. Don't want to mess with them for now for the ease of use.
Well brushless will run longer. They are more efficient and run cooler. And they also do not draw as much amp current either. So yes they are a worthy investment IMO.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 187 (100%+)

I would run the stock motor until it dies. That way he can get used to the speed and handling of the slash. After that you can get some good inexpensive brushless systems from hobbyking or hobbyparts.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

KDub, I would doubble check the ESC that come with the Slash. If you bought the normal RTR version and it has the XL-5 ESC it is NOT brushless compatable. So when you get ready to buy the 3500Kv VXL motor buy it as a combo with the VXL-3s ESC.

Jay
Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks. I'll double check that before I get ready to buy one. I'm sure I'll know a lot more by then! It does have the XL-5, but it said in the manual that the truck was compatible. I'm guessing they meant if you buy the motor and the ESC.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

what it ment by compatable was the all metal gear tranny will hold the power of the brushless system. unlike the older rustler and stampede that uses a plastic diff and ideler gear that the slash was designed from.

to add to the alu shock caps, rpm rear hubs are 2cd for must have hopups. rpm parts are more durable than stock by far. if and when u break (arms, shock towers, etc) replace with rpm