Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help an Old Newbie restore a classic? ESC/Battery questions >

Help an Old Newbie restore a classic? ESC/Battery questions

Help an Old Newbie restore a classic? ESC/Battery questions

Old 07-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help an Old Newbie restore a classic? ESC/Battery questions

I have a Kyosho Optima that I bought new in 1987. It's been broken and boxed-up since about 1990. Well, since my son is getting old enough now to appreciate a real R/C Car, I've decided to restore it for him. In doing so I'm realizing that the technology behind these things has changed quite a bit since then.

So, I'm here to seek recommendations for parts. I realize I probably should have inquired at a hobby-shop first. However, I live in the hills so the nearest one is about 130 miles away. I would very much appreciate any help I can get!

First on my list is an ESC-

The car has a Kyosho LeMans 240ST motor. I have read (though not an official source) that it is a 22turn-single wind motor.

I have also read that the BEC power usually comes from the ESC. Is that true of all modern ESC's?

I just need something with reverse that's reliable and simple to use. I will be running the car on a 6-cell pack. Recommendations?

Next is Batteries-

It's my understanding that voltage is voltage, and that a higher MAH pack equals a longer run time. So, I should be able to run a 3000 or a 1200 interchangeably in the same car. Am I understanding correctly?

I think I used to get 4 or 5 minutes out of a 1200mah pack. How much more can I expect out of a 3000mah pack? Is it worth the extra money for run time alone?

This car doesn't need to be super fast. We just want something to bomb around the hillside. Maximum run time and reliability are most important.

I would also like to run NiMH for their lack of cell memory so I'll need help buying a new charger also. Recommendations?

Again, though my thanks is all I can offer in return, I would greatly appreciate any help!

Bad Toad
Old 07-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

the one thing i can think of part wise is to look on ebay..or even post in the wanted section on these forums...you could mabe give kyosho a call, becasue you never know, they might still have a few parts left. A good esc would be the runner from lrp, or novak explorer, and the duratrax (idk names) are nice speed controls that meet your needs...umm charger wise there are many duratrax chargers that can charge NIMH and NiCAD batteries. The inteli peak are good chargers, and pretty inexpensive, 50-100 depending where you get them.
Yes you can run 1200 and anything higher in the same car. I have heard of people getting 10-15 minutes of run time with 3300's or 3000's. I myself get about 7 minutes in my tc3 with a team 1 monster stock pro, and a huricane 3300, using race gearing
Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Much for your suggestion mate!
I've been looking into the Duratrax stuff you mentioned. Very nice prices! I'll be giving them a shot.
Cheers,
Toad
Old 07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How much money are you wanting to spend? With alot of the Radio stuff thats out now the "cheap" stuff is better than what we used to run in the early 90's,And the new 3300's are worth the extra $$ if run time is what your after,I dont think you need the high dollar matched packs,Stick packs will work fine,The reason I had asked about the money Is, Novak makes a good brushless system but it does cost($225 us)But it does come with a motor and speed controler and it does have alot longer run time,15 + min. and it's fast,and you dont need to replace brushes.But If the hobby shops are that far away I guess mail order is the way to go.

Last edited by xxxkat; 07-20-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

I would also say that brushless would be the way to go..225 may seem steep in the begining, but brushed motors require a lot more matinence, and will get slower after a while....requiring you to get a comm lathe(or have someone do it for u), and replace springs/brushes
Old 07-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks fellas!
For now money is a concern. I would like to get by pretty cheap until I find out how much we're gonna drive it. If it turns out that he's really into it, I just might look into a brushless. Sounds like it might actually save money in the long run. Still, that's alot of cash to drop all at once on a backyard-bomber.

BTW, I found out that there is a hobby shop only about 80 miles from here. That still sounds like a long way but it's sort of "on the way" to alot of places. I'm gonna get down there and check it out soon as I can. Hopefully they have a track! I probably never would have lost interest as a kid if I had a place to actually race.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Bud
Tech Fanatic

i you find yourself needing parts, (and you will) go to e bay and do a search in toys and hobbys for optima. you'll be suprised how many parts are still avaliable for these old cars. if you run across a belt conversion, grab it. one of the best things you can do to an optima is to get rid of the chain.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Bud,
I have purchased a few things from ebayers already. I was amazed to find that people still have parts for these things. Many times brand new parts.

Yes, I have been searching for a belt drive. No luck so far. Still checking every day though.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

On the brushless it's alot cheaper in the long run,I look at it this way,If your looking at buying a new speed controller an say a mod motor,Your looking at spending from $125 to $200 depending upon how high up you wish to go on the speed controller,if you wanted to go way top of the line,it would be more.With the brushless you dont really need to do motor maintaince like you used to,and the performance stays the same.Plus you can adjust the performance of the motor as well.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

im going to simplify my answer.

I high recommend you purchase a low cost 3000mah nimh battery pack since you want reliable and lasting run times.

Here is the product that i found that best suit your needs:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXERB5&P=ML

As for the ESC, i dont know much about your car but all i can say is that there are my chooses out there that offer reverse and reliability for around 40$.

Hope this helps.