Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Xray Evo2 steering & Motor heat question >

Xray Evo2 steering & Motor heat question

Old 07-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

I finally got to run some laps at Mike's, in Carrolton, Tx and the car is starting to come around [I'm changing pivot balls and ends-I have some play in the steering that won't allow it to track straight and almost 2 degree difference when setting it up-should be easy enough to figure out once I start work on it, or it could be the servo horn].

Realized too, a bumpy strecth near the Parts Dept door [thought it was glitchy around that area, so I took a closer look after the run-it may still be a glitch since it did the same at another spot, but it could have been the tracking issue].

I'm eventually going to pick-up a Lightspeed motor [I have a used one but would like to note the performance straight out the "box".

The motor I ran [Epic] seemed to get awfully hot to the touch [about 110F after a minute or so of natural cooldown time] even after gearing down [although a bit less hot, but still hot]. It may be normal, but I've run a Trinity Speed Gems 11x2 on a 12 scale kit and it never seemed to get that hot [only noticed the heat after picking up the car and incidentaly touching the can, which prompted the temp readings]. However, the brushes didn't show any signs of being affected [no discoloration at all on them, barely any wear].

The one thing I'll never do again, is forget my desk top fan! LOL Man, it was hot... I'm still sweating. LOL

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Just found a thread and they regard temps of 190 in the safe range.

Any opinions on this?

^5s
Tom G
Old 07-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

For TC, stock motor's will hit 160+*F after a run. With 1/12th scale, motors usually come off cool-warm. Get your motor in the 170-180* range and you may want to look at hooking a little 5v fan in your car to keep your motor cooler.

With your steering problem check that your ball ends don't have any play and that your servo horn and servo gears arn't stripped.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Fatdoggy, thanks.

That explains alot. I was thinking about replacing the servo horn first, check for play and then move on to the ball [ball joints are new OEM parts, since the Kyosho ball ends I tried were too tight, which may have loosened the fit of the servo horn ].

Would a heat sink be a first thing-to-try option or look at the fan?

^5

BTW, wish I would have known about those clubs/tracks when I live in MD. May not have taken the job in Dallas! LOL

Once again, ^5.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

You can try a heatsink if you can get it on; If not you can use some shoe goo and stick a small 5v fan on the chassis so it blows air onto the comm and brushes.

Tom G - Lots of tracks in md. I race at "the track".

http://www.rctrack.com/images/facility/track2.jpg
Old 07-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Xray Evo2 steering & Motor heat question

Originally posted by Tom G
I finally got to run some laps at Mike's, in Carrolton, Tx and the car is starting to come around [I'm changing pivot balls and ends-I have some play in the steering that won't allow it to track straight and almost 2 degree difference when setting it up-should be easy enough to figure out once I start work on it, or it could be the servo horn].

Realized too, a bumpy strecth near the Parts Dept door [thought it was glitchy around that area, so I took a closer look after the run-it may still be a glitch since it did the same at another spot, but it could have been the tracking issue].

I'm eventually going to pick-up a Lightspeed motor [I have a used one but would like to note the performance straight out the "box".

The motor I ran [Epic] seemed to get awfully hot to the touch [about 110F after a minute or so of natural cooldown time] even after gearing down [although a bit less hot, but still hot]. It may be normal, but I've run a Trinity Speed Gems 11x2 on a 12 scale kit and it never seemed to get that hot [only noticed the heat after picking up the car and incidentaly touching the can, which prompted the temp readings]. However, the brushes didn't show any signs of being affected [no discoloration at all on them, barely any wear].

The one thing I'll never do again, is forget my desk top fan! LOL Man, it was hot... I'm still sweating. LOL

Any info would be appreciated.
A couple of things to think about, do your best to stick with OEM Xray products, I know it's expensive, but you save yourself the headache of trying to fit pieces from a different car onto yours. The other thing is check your gearing with the 11T, the motor do get hot, but they can get really really hot if the gearing is too tall, or the drive train is tight.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Tech Addict

Neil, thanks for the response.

I plan on sticking with stock and maybe try 19T mod.

Narrowed down the play in the steering; servo horn. Ball joints, ball joints have been replaced and they still have play [with Xray OEM parts nonetheless], which I think is a bit unusual. I cut and shaped the servo's original horn and that seemed to do the trick. A lot less play was immeditely noticed.

I'll see if the Futaba Xary horn will work, since the offset causes a bit of concern and lit ooks funny with a red servo horn anyway.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Tom G
Neil, thanks for the response.

I plan on sticking with stock and maybe try 19T mod.

Narrowed down the play in the steering; servo horn. Ball joints, ball joints have been replaced and they still have play [with Xray OEM parts nonetheless], which I think is a bit unusual. I cut and shaped the servo's original horn and that seemed to do the trick. A lot less play was immeditely noticed.

I'll see if the Futaba Xary horn will work, since the offset causes a bit of concern and lit ooks funny with a red servo horn anyway.

Thanks!
That strange that you will have so much play with OEM parts. Perhaps the servo horn or gears have some gremlins in them.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Tech Addict

Neil, I thought so too.

Kyosho's ball ends and balls are perfect-no pay at all with 'em. I may auctually consider using them on the Xray and seeing if there's a difference.

I'll file a sit rep as soon as I do [can't be switching out on a Sunday when the track is open and da wife is at work, ya know?].

Tanx!