Wiki Posts
Search

Extreme newb needs help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
CPL
Tech Rookie

Default Extreme newb needs help

Hey guys, glad I found this forum. I've gone crazy reading things on the net. I usually trust forums (I belong to Jeepforum and we help a lot of people on there so hopefully this will be the same).

My son is really wanting to get into the R/C hobby, but I don't know anything about it. We were wanting to get him an R/C truck (we live in the country, so no paved roads) for Christmas, but if I leave it to my wife, she'll go to Toys R Us and get him one there.

I've been doing some research online and I think that it would be best to go with an electric for now. What should I look for, and what brands are better, and so on. My son is 9 and my budget is around $150. We don't want to sink a lot of money into this at first because you know how kids are, but if it's something that he really gets into, I'll be more than happy to put money in it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Chris
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

your budget is going to limit you.

target is selling a trcuk based on a well known, higher end rc car (tamiay df02). it's 99 bux and probably the best rc you can buy in a department store.

the replacment parts for the tamiya df02's will fit.

http://www.target.com/MONSTER-XX-Pro...i_detailbutton

you can also look into traxxas ready to run vehicles at your local hobbyshop, they will be slightly over your budget i think.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'd expand your limit and get him an E-Maxx. Maybe a Slash, but they're 2WD and won't do as well offroad as a Maxx.

He won't be interested long if you get him something cheap. I understand spending limits, and if you're set on the limit, buy used or don't buy at all. Save up and get him a nice truck.

The T-maxx will be plenty powerful enough, handle well offroad, last for a while if taken care of, and has PLENTY of parts support. You won't be dissapointed
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Slash 2wd
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Go with the E-Maxx
Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Judging by your $150 budget I would say go with the Traxxas Stampede. It is $179.99 at my LHS (local hobby shop) and I hear that they are very reliable. It is a truck but only 2wd. Comes rtr (ready to run) and parts are very easy to come by with Traxxas. Maybe this will help???
Old 11-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

^ I completely agree. When I got into the hobby when I was a kid, my dad bought a Rustler and I had a Stampede. They're very easy to upgrade, and keep running. As well as that your local hobby shop most likely carries most parts if something breaks.

Over-all you'll most likely wind up spending a bit more that 150$ for it, but it comes with a charger/battery and is an excellent beginner RC.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

i think the rustler is stronger than the stampede...rolls over less also
Old 11-18-2010, 10:33 AM
CPL
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I am not limited in any means to the $150 budget. I am more than willing to go a bit higher for a quality product.

I live in the boonies, so there are no local hobby shops in town. Whatever I get has to be online.

What are the differences in the batteries?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

NIMH run great when first charged but tend to peter out and you can only recharge them twice a day. Whereas w/Lipo they keep the same "umph" the entire pack and there is no limit to recharging per day. If you have a brushed motor you should think about getting a Lipo cutoff alarm. Most brushless systems don't need that since most (like something a Traxxas VXL) have a built in cutoff in the ESC.