R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   Help. New car or new radio. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/451219-help-new-car-new-radio.html)

efm2 11-09-2010 04:38 PM

Help. New car or new radio.

I'm enjoying this hobby for the last 2 months and to date I have an M05 and an ABC Genetic. I'm only using a Futaba 2PL AM radio. I have no complaints or maybe I just don't know what to complain about :D. I'm tempted to buy another car, this time maybe an F1 but I don't know if I need to upgrade my radio first. Am I missing a lot by using a simple, no bells and whistle type radio? I'm really just doing this for fun and no big plans of racing seriously. I know a lot of you were in this situation before. What did you do? Thanks.

BuggyKing 11-09-2010 08:24 PM

I would just focus on more skills in the driving. You can always upgrade later on when your skills improve. That is if you plan on racing seriously in the future. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE>:nod:

JR007 11-10-2010 09:19 AM

Don't worry about the bells and whistles on the radio at the moment, they won't make your driving more fun, or easier. Upgrade that radio if/when you start to get issues with interference and the like.
One of the best things I did early on, was to get more batteries, and spare parts. I keep a lot of spares, and when I break, i'm back out ASAP. With the batteries, you can charge 3 or 4 batteries, then go out for 1/2 a day of fun with no charger required.

Bytor 11-10-2010 09:32 AM

Go for the new car and enjoy the existing radio. Upgrading the radio can come when you get into serious racing, for the meantime enjoy your cars. Getting control of the cars and understanding what each adjustment to the car does is a great thing to accomplish first.

bowl806 11-10-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by efm2 (Post 8188673)
I'm enjoying this hobby for the last 2 months and to date I have an M05 and an ABC Genetic. I'm only using a Futaba 2PL AM radio. I have no complaints or maybe I just don't know what to complain about :D. I'm tempted to buy another car, this time maybe an F1 but I don't know if I need to upgrade my radio first. Am I missing a lot by using a simple, no bells and whistle type radio? I'm really just doing this for fun and no big plans of racing seriously. I know a lot of you were in this situation before. What did you do? Thanks.

I drive a M03 and some off road stuff (TRX Slash.) When you get the F1 then think about a radio as it'll help braking into turns, throttle control, etc but w/M05 don't even worry about it as said unless you have interference. I built my M03 to the hilt w/Castle 7700 and Lipo so I kind of needed to upgrade radios. I'm not sorry I did so if you feel inclined check out Airtronics or Spektrum radio stuff. Also as said, just keep practicing so you can learn to drive better.

efm2 11-10-2010 03:05 PM

Very helpful guys. Thank you all so much.