R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   shocks and springs (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/447195-shocks-springs.html)

aiyoaiya 10-26-2010 11:52 PM

shocks and springs

hi guys and gals, got a silly question here but wondering if anyone out there remove the shocks and springs of your offroads if were to store for months??? :blush: will it do any harm if u dun??

OTE_TheMissile 10-27-2010 01:13 AM

Shocks don't mind if they sit, but springs actually do. If you let a spring sit loaded for enough time it'll refuse to return to it's original length, so you'll lose a bit of preload. Springs do wear out as well, even if you take the utmost care of them they are made of metal, and all metal (heck, any solid material) will fatigue over time.

Fully removing the springs from the truck might be a bit overkill, but when you park the truck, sit the chassis up on blocks or a stand or something and let the tires hang. That'll keep your springs in shape. It's good for the tires as well, leaving them sit in one place long enough will put a flat spot on the foam inserts :cool:

hyperguy 10-27-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile (Post 8128118)
Shocks don't mind if they sit, but springs actually do. If you let a spring sit loaded for enough time it'll refuse to return to it's original length, so you'll lose a bit of preload. Springs do wear out as well, even if you take the utmost care of them they are made of metal, and all metal (heck, any solid material) will fatigue over time.

Fully removing the springs from the truck might be a bit overkill, but when you park the truck, sit the chassis up on blocks or a stand or something and let the tires hang. That'll keep your springs in shape. It's good for the tires as well, leaving them sit in one place long enough will put a flat spot on the foam inserts :cool:

+1
very well put!!!!!

Dave H 10-27-2010 06:50 PM

Yep, all of my rides sit on the chassis. Reduces oil pressure in the shocks a little too, helps reduce leaking. The tires themselves will flat spot a little as well as the foams. Nothing fancy required, an old box, old set of tires, etc.

aiyoaiya 10-27-2010 10:11 PM

ah... learn something new everyday... :blush: my rides been sitting there without blocks or stands over 6 mths already :cry: thanks guys

OTE_TheMissile 10-27-2010 10:26 PM

Even if you notice a flat spot in the foams when you pick the truck up, majority of the time a run or two will "pull" them back into shape. Just try not to do it too often

aiyoaiya 11-02-2010 05:46 PM

does this apply to onroads as well? :blush:

Duster_360 11-02-2010 06:35 PM

Yes, I do it with all my RCs onroad or offroad, they sit on the chassis, not the wheels.

nitrofreak07 11-02-2010 08:57 PM

just for example...... the clutch spring inside of a snowmobile or atv is compressed from 5 inshes (ish) to under two (fully coil bound) hundreds of times per day during a good ride...after a couple months of hard riding your rpms get outa wack and you pull the spring out and find it over an inch shorter and considerable softer rate if you test it.....so yes dont let them sit loaded for a long time

aiyoaiya 11-03-2010 04:31 PM

got it! thanks guys... :blush: