Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What Traxxas Slash should I buy? 2WD OR 4WD? PLZ HELP! >

What Traxxas Slash should I buy? 2WD OR 4WD? PLZ HELP!

What Traxxas Slash should I buy? 2WD OR 4WD? PLZ HELP!

Reply

Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Questions?? What Traxxas Slash should I buy? 2WD OR 4WD? PLZ HELP!

Hey everyone, I'm new to the whole RC game and I'm looking at buying a Traxxas Slash. I was looking online at youtube and I saw that the 2W drive Traxxas Slash seemed to flip over often when it reached its top speed. The 4x4 Traxxas slash didn't seem to do that. Because of this I thought I wanted to get the 4x4. Yesterday I went in to a local Hobby Shop and the guy there said that I should get the 2W drive one since it was my first truck/car. He said the 4x4 would probably be to much for me to handle being that it was my first RC truck since it is much faster. I just don't want to buy the 2W drive one and have it flip all the time. I also don't want to buy this one and then a few months down the road upgrade to the 4x4 and respend all that money. Yesterday he did tell me if I have the correct shocks on it wont flip at higher speeds. My last thought was I was hoping to jump it a lot and would the weight balance be better on the 4x4 since the 2WD has most of the weight in the back? Any info you can give me on buying my truck would be awesome! Please talk to me in words that I'll understand since I don't know a thing about RC trucks.... Yet.... Thanks a lot for any info you can give me!
travelguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
T. Herwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset, PA
Posts: 2,373
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to the whole RC game and I'm looking at buying a Traxxas Slash. I was looking online at youtube and I saw that the 2W drive Traxxas Slash seemed to flip over often when it reached its top speed. The 4x4 Traxxas slash didn't seem to do that. Because of this I thought I wanted to get the 4x4. Yesterday I went in to a local Hobby Shop and the guy there said that I should get the 2W drive one since it was my first truck/car. He said the 4x4 would probably be to much for me to handle being that it was my first RC truck since it is much faster. I just don't want to buy the 2W drive one and have it flip all the time. I also don't want to buy this one and then a few months down the road upgrade to the 4x4 and respend all that money. Yesterday he did tell me if I have the correct shocks on it wont flip at higher speeds. My last thought was I was hoping to jump it a lot and would the weight balance be better on the 4x4 since the 2WD has most of the weight in the back? Any info you can give me on buying my truck would be awesome! Please talk to me in words that I'll understand since I don't know a thing about RC trucks.... Yet.... Thanks a lot for any info you can give me!
Hi there. From the way you described, it sounds like you will be bashing, and not racing. The 2WD slash would be a good choice to get into racing because, simply, every track you go to will have a Slash class. However, because it sounds like you will be bashing, I'd say go 4x4. It will concur more terrain, and high speeds will be very good, because it comes out of the box, brushless. Brushless, in simplest terms is much faster than the "brushed" setup a slash comes with. You can, however upgrade the 2WD slash to brushless. Battery wise, spend the extra money, and go Lipo. It's worth it, power wise, and run time is increased greatly. You also mentioned you would like to jump it. The Slash 4x4 takes it here easily. The 2WD truck, in the air will have no control, and how ever it goes off the jump, is essentially how it will continue in the air. Now, the Slash 4x4, being a 4x4 truck gives you control in the air. The tires/wheels act as a gyro. Say you launch the truck, and your front end is up in the air...you press the brakes, and it will actually bring the front end down. Say your rear end is up, nose is down...throttle it, and it will level out slightly. Also, if you feel the Slash 4x4 is too fast when you first get it, check the manual, and there's a way to program the VXL (Velineon) brushless ESC to training mode.
T. Herwig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:22 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

I have, and race a 2WD Slash. And when I first got into racing the slash, it would roll all the time. The only way to counter this was to put heavy shock oil in all four shocks. Now it's rare to have the tuck flip over. There is a fix to the trucks high center of gravity, but if you really want a 4x4, then get one. It seems you already know what you want.
Foxxrocket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default

I too have 2wd Slashes I race/bash. When I first got it, after taking a jump or two I noticed it would float like a boat. All I've done to it is got rid of the stock lid and customized one, add couple oz. wt. to the front end, heavier shock oil, and moved the shock mount holes. It'll take jumps with the best of em now. Forgot to say, I got rid of the stock tires, XL5 motor and stuck a VXL in one of them and a Castle Mamba Pro 4600 in the other one. So what's the problem with a lot of sideways turns?
bowl806 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

You took off the bladder? Then how do you deal with the shock rebound?
Foxxrocket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
You took off the bladder? Then how do you deal with the shock rebound?
not me-
bowl806 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 PM
  #7  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (23)
 
phantom257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: placerville, CA
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

2WD on dirt is the best way to train yourself to be a better driver, if you dont plan to race and just want a thrasher/basher either will work, but the 4wd will just give you more stupid happy grins . i have a stock 2wd i race and a mod 2wd i race, and yes at first they flip at top speed. i have borrowed the 4x4 for race days 3 times and they are so much easier to drive after learning on 2wd. once you learn a bit of setup and how TO LET GO OF THE THROTTLE, they don't flip any more than other off-road cars. 4x4 has a lower CG out of the bock and is way faster. but again as i stated at the beginning if want to learn to race 2wd will train you, 4x4 is way easier to drive.
phantom257 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
T. Herwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset, PA
Posts: 2,373
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Also, if you do plan to get into racing, and want the 4x4, I'd say look at some other brands. For 4x4 short course racing, check out the Jammin SCRT10 for sure.
T. Herwig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:17 PM
  #9  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks for all the info everyone has given me. Sounds like since I'm not looking to get into racing my Traxxas Slash and just want it to play around and jump it and stuff I should go with the 4x4. That was good to read that I can adjust the 4x4 truck to a training mode if I want to slow it down a little while I get use to driving it since the 4x4 is so fast. Thanks for explaining that the brushless is faster too. I live in the Sacramento area and hope to trade 2 Southwest airlines buddy passes to get this 4x4 truck new at one of the local hobby shops. Can anyone give me an idea how long these 4x4 trucks run off of a full battery and how long they take to charge. Thanks again to eveyone that left me feedback!
travelguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default

Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone has given me. Sounds like since I'm not looking to get into racing my Traxxas Slash and just want it to play around and jump it and stuff I should go with the 4x4. That was good to read that I can adjust the 4x4 truck to a training mode if I want to slow it down a little while I get use to driving it since the 4x4 is so fast. Thanks for explaining that the brushless is faster too. I live in the Sacramento area and hope to trade 2 Southwest airlines buddy passes to get this 4x4 truck new at one of the local hobby shops. Can anyone give me an idea how long these 4x4 trucks run off of a full battery and how long they take to charge. Thanks again to eveyone that left me feedback!
Are you talking about RC country? I think the factory batt takes over an hour or so to charge and might run 20-25 min. Once you can afford, go with Lipo; they run longer w/more power.
bowl806 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 PM
  #11  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Default

How much do the Lipo batterys cost? Im not sure what hobby shops Im thinking about going to but I live in the Roseville area. I know there is one in Rocklin but they already do trade outs with SWA for tickets so I'll have to go to another place and see what I can work out. I think Im leaning towards the 4x4 Traxxas Slash though. I really would love to get one of these trucks but at this time I dont think I want to spend that much money on one so I hope to do the trade out with the airline tickets. I also was wondering how far these RC trucks can go before they get out of range of the controler. If they really get up to 70mph that thing can be long gone in secs. lol....
travelguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
T. Herwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset, PA
Posts: 2,373
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
How much do the Lipo batterys cost? Im not sure what hobby shops Im thinking about going to but I live in the Roseville area. I know there is one in Rocklin but they already do trade outs with SWA for tickets so I'll have to go to another place and see what I can work out. I think Im leaning towards the 4x4 Traxxas Slash though. I really would love to get one of these trucks but at this time I dont think I want to spend that much money on one so I hope to do the trade out with the airline tickets. I also was wondering how far these RC trucks can go before they get out of range of the controler. If they really get up to 70mph that thing can be long gone in secs. lol....
Hi there. A lipo varies in cost. For your purposes, I'd say go with Turigy, or Flightmaxx. Check out "Hobbyking.com" The shipping is $12, but the lipos are insanely cheap, and for their price, are unbeatable. You will also need a lipo charger if you go lipo. Check out the turnigy charger for a "budget" charger. I can only recommend Lipo, because I haven't used Nimh in forever. Lipo is honestly the way to go the first time, and not regret it later. As for range of radio, that shouldn't be a problem. If it's out of range, I can almost guarantee you won't even see it in the first place. Now, speed wise, there's different types of Lipos. 2 Cell (7.4v) -Each cell is 3.7 volts. So, 2 cell... (2 X 3.7 = 7.4v) and 3 Cell (11.1v) (3x 3.7 = 11.1v) Now, 3 the cell will be faster, but this will also shoot your temperatures up. The 2 cell will be safer, and more controlled. To achieve the 70mph speeds, you will most likely need the Mamba Monster upgrade I believe? Not sure on that one. Just remember, no bigger than 3S with the VXL ESC (Electronic speed control). You will damage it. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
T. Herwig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM
  #13  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Default

I don't know alot about cars and stuff becuase I am new as well. Go with 4 Wheel Drive. I had 2 WD on my S-Maxx at first and sometimes it would make like a dip if it couldn't get any grip and you would have to move it out. 4 WD you will never have that happen
Ubernoober13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 PM
  #14  
Tech Initiate
 
zzrguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gallatin, Tn
Posts: 30
Default

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
I have, and race a 2WD Slash. And when I first got into racing the slash, it would roll all the time. The only way to counter this was to put heavy shock oil in all four shocks. Now it's rare to have the tuck flip over. There is a fix to the trucks high center of gravity, but if you really want a 4x4, then get one. It seems you already know what you want.
I am new to the R/C fun also, what weight of oil did you put in your shocks?
zzrguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 PM
  #15  
Tech Initiate
 
zzrguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gallatin, Tn
Posts: 30
Default

Originally Posted by bowl806 View Post
Are you talking about RC country? I think the factory batt takes over an hour or so to charge and might run 20-25 min. Once you can afford, go with Lipo; they run longer w/more power.
I am looking into getting a Slash 4X4 also, how much run time will a Lipo have?
zzrguy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service