Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to RC, looking to start with $100, help?? >

New to RC, looking to start with $100, help??

New to RC, looking to start with $100, help??

Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC, looking to start with $100, help??

Hey guys,

I've been looking through the rookie zone posts here. My 14 year old son is really really interested in RC right now however we are both brand new to the RC scene. We don't know if we're looking at a 100 dollar car or a 1000 dollar car when we see em.

My son has 100 bucks to spend and we'd like to get the best car/Truck we can. We know 100 bucks isn't going to get us a top of the line RC car/truck but if you guys would point out some web links or manufacture and model we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by agardner326 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been looking through the rookie zone posts here. My 14 year old son is really really interested in RC right now however we are both brand new to the RC scene. We don't know if we're looking at a 100 dollar car or a 1000 dollar car when we see em.

My son has 100 bucks to spend and we'd like to get the best car/Truck we can. We know 100 bucks isn't going to get us a top of the line RC car/truck but if you guys would point out some web links or manufacture and model we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
$100 dollars will not get u very far. I would go to ur local race track and try to buy somthin from someone who has upgraded. the best entry level car is the traxas slash, which is about $240.00. u can also check this site for used things forsale. This is a costly but fun hobby, and if u take the cheap route, u r still going to end up spending the same amount of money. so if u have to stay in that budget try duratrax. they have rtr cars for around 120.00. I tried going the cheap route and ended up upgrading. if u r interested, i have 2 cars that i purchased for cheap that we r not using. snd a msg if u need more info.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

hey man we have all been threw the tight money and helping our loved ones get into new hobbies. first id throughly make sure this is what he wants, and not something he just wants for the time being couse they do get expensive. secondly if first car, i got the perfect place for you to purchase one. the first car will make or break your time spent on this hobby, no since in spending 500 if you are not going to stay with it right?, so look try this site out. they got all sorts of cars shop around and find out what best fits his wants/needs. hope it helps man. heres the link www.nitrorcx.com try them, you may have some luck. a friend of mine bought one of there cars and there pretty durable, not the fastest but thats why there are upgrades in the world of rc.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Is he going to race or just kinda bash around...
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

He's not gonna race on $100 budget. The transponder will cost him $100 alone.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Rookie

THanks guys. Not racing, just having fun. I'm checking out the websites you guys shared now, thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Could I Suggect 1/16 scale? They're cheaper and parts are cheaper. At first they're not as fast as 1/10 but if your kid really plays and sticks with the hobby, upgrade the 1/16 or buy a 1/10. Find a good used one on this site. I'm sure there's plenty. Hope this helps with your question.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

New cars around that price range will almost certainly need that same amount in upgrades within the first few hours of running, if not minutes. Even if your kid is responsible and pretty good at driving he will hit things and break parts, its just a fact of life with RC. So the idea is to buy something that you can get replacement parts for with ease, and to get something that is reasonably tough. The Mini scales like 1/18th or 1/16th are definitely cheaper to get started, but keep in mind they are generally more breakable. I recently sold a RC18T ready to run with everything needed to run for $90. These are good cars since parts are very cheap to replace, and many hobby shops carry parts for them. The problem is that they are not very good with abuse, a few hard hits into a wall or curb and it will be parked until you get some new parts. But dont be scared into thinking they are fragile cars that will break every time you use it. The 1/10th scale SC trucks are probably your best bet, but finding one at the right price is going to be tough. These trucks are super tough, and parts are also found just about anywhere. Parts are a bit more expensive than the smaller trucks, but still quite reasonable, and replacements are not needed as often because of how tough they are.

Here are a few of my personal opinions for different scenarios:

If you want something right now just to find out if your kid is really going to like it or not, pick up a used RC18 from the forums or Ebay. Just beware of who you are buying from and make sure they have excellent feedback. Read feedback comments and see what people have said when buying from this person. Do not, under any circumstance, buy from someone you do not feel is giving you all the information or not enough pictures, or anything that might make you unsure in any way.

If your kid has a little patience, I would pick up a Slash roller from the same sources, using the same good judgement on who you are buying from. Then save up a little more money to get electronics. Use the extra time to thoroughly inspect the truck and get an idea of how to tune/maintain it. You can also read alot online to get a good idea of what electronics/upgrades you might want to consider.

its seems like a very expensive hobby to get into, but once you get the hang of it you will see the cost go down big time. The initial cost can be a bit overwhelming for some people, but once you are up and running there is not usually much to keep going.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default $100?

Well a $100 is not really alot to get into RC like these guys have said the best starters are around $240 but look on horizon hobby they have a new off road RTR it's the Electrix RC 1/10 stadium truck it's come with everything you need to get running and it's only $119 that's not bad it's not for racing but it's a nice basher for a beginner I got my son one of them and it's pretty tough and they will be bringing out plenty of upgrades for it. I have lots of Trucks and I have to say for $119 I was impressed with this little truck and I think you will be happy with it for just starting out
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Not enough information to even really get you started. But since you dont care if its a car, or a truck, or whatever... and you are on a really tight budget of $100, I think there really is only one option for you, and it's a good one:

Get yourself a used Traxxas slash. The are a short course style, realistic looking truck, that you could get used for about $100 (maybe), it will do well just bashing around the backyard, as well as on the track in a short course class.

Just can't go wrong. The slash is DESIGNED exactly for your situation.

Here is a link to a brand new one:
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=TRX58035
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

+1 on the Traxxas Slash... its pretty much the do all-end all type truck on the market... and I would also go used to keep the price down...

I do a lot of buy-cheap rebuilds and there are definately some $100 slashs out there... you just have to look for them... the big issue isnt the truck... its the parts that come AFTER the truck... batteries and chargers can be fairly pricy and without them you will have ungodly charging times... one option is to monitor Craigslists for your area and watch for someone selling a package deal...
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

every thing seems to cost 300
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I dont know anything about it

$119
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Truck-Blue

and there is a $5 off coupon and over $100 you get free shipping on most items on amain
Could be a perfect $114, and comes with everything you need

Know this the battery will take 8 hours to recharge so its a once a day for a few min kind of thing with this set up most likely
Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Here's anothe rat $120 thats popular, you'd still need batteries and a charger though -

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXTXT8**&P=ML
Old 10-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Okay if you can swing an extra 20 bucks then you're golden. Tower hobbies is running a special $20 off of $140 so you buy the duratrax evader ext2, two tower 1500 nicd battery packs, and a tower 400 charger all for $120 with the coupon code 011e1. Its a great deal, I started out with those batteries and that charger so I can tell you from experience that they are good. You're not gonna get a better bang for your buck anywhere.

P.S. I wouldn't recommend the nitro rcx cars they're cheaply made and will cost you more in the long run.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service