Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Differential issues >

Differential issues

Differential issues

Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Differential issues

Hey all,
I just bought my first R/C car. It is a 1:10 Brushless 4WD Monster truck. Here is my issue. One the first drive with it I stripped out the rear (where the motor is) differential. It made a horrible whirring / grinding noise. Once I got it home I took the front differential off along with the drive shaft and front axles. There was no issues for about 6 runs. Each run lasted about 30 min on sidewalks, dirt, grass and asphalt. On the 7th run the differential started to strip pout again. Now after that mini book here are my questions. Are factory differentials normally like this? Would upgrading to a higher quality fix it? And finally where do you all recommend I go online to buy parts? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Many stock diffs are weak and only good for mild use, but it really depends on the brand. In order to direct you to good replacement parts we need to know what model you have.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sorry for not giving all of the info

It is a
REELY Monster Truck "titan".
Old 09-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am sorry, I have never seen that brand of model here in the US. Maybe the place you bought it can direct you to parts distributors.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Differential issues

Thanks for the help. I took the differential apart, in looking at it, it is just of low quality engineering. Added a couple of washers and it is much tighter. I will still be looking for a better quality Dif.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Google search turns up a lot of info on that truck and indicates it doesn't share parts with any of the other, more available trucks currently marketed.

Shimming to eliminate play will help, but comments indicate probs with diffs are due to the weight. You may have to take it to a lhs and see if they have any ideas on something that can be done to make diffs stronger.