Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to the hobby. >

New to the hobby.

New to the hobby.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to the hobby.

So I just bought my first rc truck, the traxxas slash 4x4, and have been playing around with it. I bought it used, but already had a mamba 4600kv and some lipos with it. I want to get some 11.1v lipos and with so much out there just wanted to get some recommendations from others as what to buy and where to get it from. Most of my orders will more than likely be placed online, as I am a country boy and am an hour to the nearest hobby shop.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

These are popular as well as their regular lipos -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=378

There are a ton of other places online All e RC, RCLipos, Tower Hobbies, AMain Hobbies, Stormer Racing Hobbies are just a few located here in the US.

You just need to make sure they fit your batt compartment and that you have a lipo capable charger to charge them with. I'm 45min away from my nearest shop and do most of my business online too.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks. Yeah I know about the Lipo chargers. My father in law has been fooling with nitro cars for years and recently made the switch to electric. I am ordering a charger tonight and just wanted to check on the batteries so I can order together. I have 2 7.4v lipos that I got with the truck, but after seeing what the 11.1v will do, I decided I need to get me some of that.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hobbypartz has a solid AC/DC charger, Thunder AC-6, builtin balancer for lipos and a 50watt charger output so will be good for 1C charging of 2 and 3S lipos. Hobbypartz also sells good inexpensive lipos referred to as the blue lipos, but they always seem to be out of stock.

HobbyKing doesn't really have a good AC/DC charger, but does have plenty opf choices on DC powere d chargers and power supplies as well as lipos. I'm waiting on lipos now and parts - but had to buy from 4 diff places to get what I wanted. Never seem to be able to find it all in one place.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah I ordered the thunder ac6 charger from hobbypartz last night as well as a lipo fireproof bag.

Bought a venom 11.1v 3s lipo today from hobbytown.