Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Im a Greenhorn.... > Im a Greenhorn....

Im a Greenhorn....

Old 09-04-2010, 05:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile Im a Greenhorn....

Hi there,
im very new to this hobby and would like to have some views from the experts and veterns R/C hobbist before buying my 1st R/C cars. For newbie like me, which type would you guys recommend? Nitro or electric? RTR or kit? Hope to get good feedback from you guys as im quite interested in this hobby. Thanks in advance...Cheers
Old 09-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Do you plan on racing or just goofing around?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by greenruby79 View Post
Hi there,
im very new to this hobby and would like to have some views from the experts and veterns R/C hobbist before buying my 1st R/C cars. For newbie like me, which type would you guys recommend? Nitro or electric? RTR or kit? Hope to get good feedback from you guys as im quite interested in this hobby. Thanks in advance...Cheers
I like both electric and nitro....depending on where you live and your skill level will determine what will be the best for you.
Nitro is noisy smelly and messy. It requires tuning skill and more maintenance than electric. One stupid mistake and you will need a new engine.
Electric is quiet and cleaner. You will need a quality charger and batteries.
Both require investments and most likely are similiar in costs. Nitro maybe more expensive because of the price of fuel today.
I would first determine onroad/offroad and a scale....1/10 is a good start then electric/nitro then set up a realistic budget. All RC is a money pit.....(BE WARNED) You are looking at an investment of $300 and up
Let us know what you decide on.....
Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you know you want to get into this hobby and STAY in and possibly even race then id say go with nitro and build yourself a car. If you plan on buying something and driving it until something screws up and you can't figure it out and you end up selling it on ebay for 1/3 of what you bought it for then go RTR nitro. I personally love the 1/8 scale and they don't race the 1/8 scale electric buggy/truggy yet as far as I know so ill always stick with nitro. Not to mention I love the sound of a good motor/pipe
Old 09-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

While nitro has it's points, if you have never owned a hobby grade R/C car they are not the best place to start. Cost is one and these are not toys! Yes we play with them but they do require main. and up keep. If you go electric it's easier to see if it's something you want to put the time and effort into. For the total newbie it's much easier to put in a battery and learn to drive without having to worry about all the nitro stuff. This hobby is a progresive one. Start with something from Traxxas, thier stuff is tough and can take a beating while you learn the ropes.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WhoIsShaun View Post
If you know you want to get into this hobby and STAY in and possibly even race then id say go with nitro and build yourself a car. If you plan on buying something and driving it until something screws up and you can't figure it out and you end up selling it on ebay for 1/3 of what you bought it for then go RTR nitro. I personally love the 1/8 scale and they don't race the 1/8 scale electric buggy/truggy yet as far as I know so ill always stick with nitro. Not to mention I love the sound of a good motor/pipe
He's totaly new and you want to put him into a 1/8th scale nitro Would you hand a total newbie the remote for your 1/8th scale and tell him have at it? Probly not. A guy who has never owned a real R/C doesn't need to deal with the headaches of nitro the FIRST time out.....IMO
Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

go to your nearest track, check out what they're playing, and c what your LHS is selling... it's always good to get support and advice from existing players or LHS... i myself prefer nitro, luv the smell and noise... but beware, as racer1812 mentioned, i was in a mess when i started playing nitro for the 1st time, it takes time to learn... but fun
Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
He's totaly new and you want to put him into a 1/8th scale nitro Would you hand a total newbie the remote for your 1/8th scale and tell him have at it? Probly not. A guy who has never owned a real R/C doesn't need to deal with the headaches of nitro the FIRST time out.....IMO
Yea you have to learn somewhere do you not? Sure you can learn very BASIC things from electric to take over to Nitro but you still need to learn the stuff like tuning your engine someday. I would of much rather not wasted my money on a bunch of electric crap just to decide I wanted to drive nitro and have to buy everything again.

Take a choice Nitro or Electric, if you ever plan on going nitro don't waste your money on electric stuff learn how to do everything and then if you ever want to drive electric its a lot simpler to go to electric instead of electric to nitro.

BTW Nitro is not hard to learn at all... People blow it way out of proportion. Nitro is the closest thing you will get to a real car without going really huge scale. If you went off-road in your truck everyday and never actually took care of your truck then it would give you a lot of problems. The same goes for nitro take care of your stuff, read some guides, there is only a ZILLION guides on anything you could think of on these forums and google. Don't let anyone scare you away from what you think will be more fun.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WhoIsShaun View Post
BTW Nitro is not hard to learn at all... .
You need to know how to turn a screwdriver and know when the needle is seated (not crushed from over tightening)
You need to be able to count revolutions with a screwdriver. Know what an 1/8 of a turn is....
need to know how to set up a servo/linkage/ horn for the throttle.
need to know how important the air filter is..........
need to know how the pull start works or other starting device
need to know what the glow plug does, how to check it and which one to use for outside temp and fuel being used.
need to know how to prime the fuel line.
need to know how to check for air leaks in the fuel system
kneed to know correct operating temp for motor and how to tune to it....
need to know how to shut the motor off without hurting it or yourself......
Its not hard to learn but a lot to learn and to learn correctly otherwise your either not running or paying the lhs to get it to run for you.......
Old 09-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Everything you just said seems like common sense to me.... Its burning hot outside hmm maybe a colder glow plug? Common sense if you ask me and again anything that isn't so common sense perhaps checking leaks in a fuel line there are guides easily accessible on the internet which the OP clearly has.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone Nitro does take a little more learning then electric but none of it is really hard. Some people just tend to buy a nitro car for their first car and put gas in it and expect it to run perfect everyday and never have to tune it or anything. Then they wonder why their engine wont run right and assume nitro is just a big headache.

The bottom line is if you are getting a first car you have a lot of stuff to learn. If you go electric the extra things you need to learn like your ESC and motor turns are a lot quicker to pick up then how to tune a nitro engine. Either path you choose you have a lot to learn.

Last edited by WhoIsShaun; 09-05-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

So it is expected for someone to learn nitro before buying/driving one?

makes no sense to me.....

How do you learn it, without practicing it?

It all depends what he wants.... does he want an electric car or a nitro car?

I think learning all this battery amperage charging lipo crap is alot tougher than nitro...

but thats me and everyone is different.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pop35eye View Post
So it is expected for someone to learn nitro before buying/driving one?

makes no sense to me.....

How do you learn it, without practicing it?

It all depends what he wants.... does he want an electric car or a nitro car?

I think learning all this battery amperage charging lipo crap is alot tougher than nitro...

but thats me and everyone is different.
You learn as you go along......
Nitro or electric both have learning curves.......
Not only does he have to want it he will also have to want to learn about it.
Not something you learn in an afternoon. I have seen way to many newbes buy nitro take it home and be back at the hobbyshop with problems. Most buyers didnt by from my lhs because he takes the time to teach while he sells.....
Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Why put a guy through the nitro learing curve before he even drives one to see if he even likes it. Not saying nitro is hard to learn for some but electric is just a much more "plug and play" way to start and see if you even want to drive one.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

i would say its up to u i started electric and got bored if ur just playing around a revo or tmaxx is fun to bash and preety user friendly
Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I like my electric tamiya tt-01e and m04m. I like the fact that electrics are quiet. I also liked the fact that I bought these in kit version. I was able to see first hand how the car works and now know what I am looking at if it breaks down. I found a great deal of satisfaction building the car myself and also choosing my own radio equipment and body color.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service