Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Second Method For Practing >

Second Method For Practing

Second Method For Practing

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Second Method For Practing

If you can't make it to the track, what's the next best way to practice or hone you're skill?

I've been driving around at my apartment's parking lot with my SC10, but I was wondering if anyone had a few pointers.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I happen to live on a road that is very busy during the day, but pretty empty at night, so there is very little dust on the road and practically no pebbles. I sometimes mix up a bottle of sugar water, poke some holes in the cap with a pin and spray at least a figure eight on the road to get it close to the level of traction at the local track. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing and really helps with getting my car set up before going out to the track, so I can just jump right in there when I get to the track without wasting too much time trying to get everything set up for the kind of traction we usually have. I've tried practicing in a nearby parking lot that at a glance looks very clean and smooth, but without a powerful blower or a shop vac to clear it off first, it tends to just muck up the car with dust and little pebbles and the level of traction is so different that it doesn't help practicing that way. Maybe if I was practicing high speed drifting.

So find a nice clean surface, or clean it yourself. Then spray it with some sugar water, grape pop, mountain dew, etc.. If you don't, you'll be sliding around all over the place and it won't really help to practice that way, unless the track you go to is also very low grip.

EDIT: Oh man..I'm out of it today. I just re-read your post and you are talking about a short course truck...um... Nearby park maybe?

Last edited by locked; 09-02-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Was thinking on-road, not off-road.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Actually, that's really helpful. I'll have to try that out...well not the soda part, but maybe something just as sticky.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Try a park that has a basketball court. I took my car there and the cememt was nice and smooth. The car glided easily. However, the ground looked clean, but the car ended up super dusty.

I also bought some cones from duratrax, i believe, but have not set them up as a track.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've been going to baseball diamonds--little league, etc. Good time of the year now cause those games are over, fields not used. I was using some empty coffee cans to set up a "track" of sorts, to drive around. Kept hitting the cans, which would send them flying. Then I found some orange plastic discs at my hobby shop. They are about 6" in diameter and are about $6.00 for a package of 12.

It is not an actual track, but I think my skill level has improved, driving around on a dirt surface, with an actual route of sorts, that I am trying to follow.

That's my deal. I'd rather be at a track but the nearest one is about 65 miles away. Running my truck on something beats just sitting around looking at it.

GreyBeard
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GreyBeard
I've been going to baseball diamonds--little league, etc. Good time of the year now cause those games are over, fields not used. I was using some empty coffee cans to set up a "track" of sorts, to drive around. Kept hitting the cans, which would send them flying. Then I found some orange plastic discs at my hobby shop. They are about 6" in diameter and are about $6.00 for a package of 12.

It is not an actual track, but I think my skill level has improved, driving around on a dirt surface, with an actual route of sorts, that I am trying to follow.

That's my deal. I'd rather be at a track but the nearest one is about 65 miles away. Running my truck on something beats just sitting around looking at it.

GreyBeard
I'm going to our local park and tearing up the baseball diamonds now! Thats a great idea, especially for an oval racer like me. Now I might actually finish