Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New owner of a rustler and had some questions >

New owner of a rustler and had some questions

New owner of a rustler and had some questions

Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New owner of a rustler and had some questions

Hey,

So i am now the proud new owner of a rustler vxl and was wondering what charger to get. I do want to eventually use Lipo batteries and would like the most bang for the buck. The stock charger takes 8 hours so yea, need a charger that does it in much less time. Any links would be appreciated and any opinions on which brands are good or which brands to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.

Second question is which lipo or nihm batteries would be good to have? As you know it came with a 7 cell nihm so any links or suggestions to brands would also be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is a popular charger here, has a solid rep, will balance charge lipo as well (for when you get there) -

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

I'd give these a look for NiMh - http://www.promatchracing.com/

I don't think you'll beat them for the price.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i got this charger because i liked how it had the built in balancer and when i say built in i mean right in the side of it. i got it because i will soon be getting LiPos once i upgrade my slash to VXL and i have go to say i love it. (although i have not gotten the chance to charge a LiPo with it yet) i would definately recommend it to anyone that is into having the MacDaddy of items.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is what I use, for what its worth.

I love this charger.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do you have a 12v power supply? If so get:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W

That's what I have. Its an awesome charger. Plus you don't have to worry about astronomical shipping time or payment.

If you don't have a power supply get:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W
Has a power supply built in.

Looks like both of these are on backorder but you can try towerhobbies.com
or stormerhobbies.com I'm sure they will have them also.

The hobbyking ones are okay, it's just up to you if you want to wait a month for it, and then if it is faulty, be screwed.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Initiate

keep the recommendations coming. i like the price of the thunder ac charger but i am willing to pay a bit more for peace of mind. i also do like the fact that it comes with software so that i can monitor the cells via the computer at some point but it's not a necessity. do most chargers require a separate power supply? is it better for it to be separate? also with the lipo's, i know that the higher the mah the stronger the battery but what about the 2s and 3s designation? any brands of batteries to look at or to avoid?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Lord

The thing with chargers is charger output power. The charger's power determines what you can charge without experiencing the charger limiting charge current. Ac-6 is a 50watt AC/DC powered charger. 50watts is typical for AC/DC type charger, there are 2 others that are 90 and 100watts and are more tyhan twice the cost. Charging a 4S 5000mah lipo on a 50watt charger, you'll find charge current to 50w/16.8v = ~3amps. You'll see a little more current when lipo voltage is lower, but not a lot. This will make teh charge take a lot longer versus something like a iCharger 208b at 350watts that could charge that same 4S at 20amp or 4C and finsing a charge in about 15min.

With DC power, you can buy up to 1000watts of outut power. Course, you have to buy a power supply as well. As far as features go, there used to be a diff - the full featured chargers were pretty much DC only, but not anymore. The $55 AC-6 has just about everything as far as fast lipo charge mode, storage mode for lipo and all the safety features on the mor eexpensive chargers. When you start getting into the Dc chargers at the 250+watt range, they have more control features - like adjusting input power levels so you protect the power supply. You don't see a lot of significat diff until you look at something like a FMA PowerLab 8 or some of the higher end iChargers and Hyperion chargers.

You are not making any safety compromises buying a 50watt $55 charger.

The S count is the number of lipo cells wired in series and wiring cells in series makes the voltage add. Lipo cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7v, a 2S lipo battery would be 3.7v + 3.7v = 7.4v nominal. A 6S would be 6 x 3.7v = 22.2v. Nominal voltage is for comparison purposes like saying a NiMh cell is 1.2v nominal when we all l=know thay charge to high voltage, lipo is no different. When a lipo cell is fully charged using a proper lipo charge mode, the max voltage is 4.2v. So a fully charged 2S is 8.4v and a 6S is 25.2v.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:05 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the explanation. ended up going with that thunder ac charger and a blue lipo 3s 5000 mah battery from the same site. my next question is since that lipo comes with banana plugs, is it best to solder on the traxxas connector or buy the duratrax conversion harness? this also makes me wonder if i will need to convert one end of the supplied harnesses that come with the charger to a traxxas connector so that it can charge the traxxas nihm battery that originally came with the rustler? Or does the charger already come with one? Bump for some more insight.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Lord

The blue lipos are supposed to be like the HC/HK lipos, so yours will have big power wires, prob 8 gauge. You'll have a diff time mounting a TRX connector with wire that thick, I read that it can be done thoiugh. That would prob be the best, using the actual connector instead of some kind of custom adapter. Some of these 'inexpensive' lipos come with poor quality soldering to start with, so they might need to be replaced anyway. Most using this type lipo change connectors.

You charger isn't going to have TRX conn, you may want to get something like this -

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVPF1&P=7

Or just make one starting with one included with the charger.

Make sure you check your voltage 1st thing you do. That should have about 11+v. If the voltage is below 9v, you need to exchange it for a good one.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Initiate

well got the charger and got the lipo. first off, the charger is nothing short of amazing. charged the stock nihm battery in about 22 minutes compared to 8 and a half hours with the ac adapter charger that came with it from traxxas. next up was the lipo. unfortunately, the lipo couldn't fit! learned a valuable lesson that rustlers cannot take a battery wider than 49mm or so? gonna have to return it and get a different brand altogether since all of em are 50mm or more. my next question is with the lipo, do all 3s require you to raise up the esc? if i went with 2s, what specs would be optimal? do i need to raise up the esc also for a 2s?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Lord

Not sure I understand your ques, but if you're asking about the low voltage cutoff - if the esc does not use a per cell voltage cutoff, then yes, you're going to have to reset it going to 3S since 6volts for a 2S lvc would be way too low for a 3s.

If the esc has a per cell lvc, then you won't need to reset each time.

2S you should be using nothing lower than 3v/cell or 6.0v.

Glad you like the new charger!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Initiate

ah I should've been more specific. I am referring to physically elevating the esc. Not in terms of messing with the esc settings.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

These fit perfect in my Rustler, nice and snug:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=10098

Isn't there a kit for raising the ESC to use 3S?