R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   Tire Glue? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/429464-tire-glue.html)

KeselowskiFan22 08-27-2010 05:26 PM

Tire Glue?

I just bought a new set of rims and tires separate (none of 'em were pre-mounted), and I'm at a loss for what to use as tire glue. I was wondering if some testors model glue will work. I have a race this Saturday, so the quicker I get an answer, the better! Just for the record, I have a Losi Slider, and they're foam-filled rubber tires on plastic rims.

Duster_360 08-27-2010 05:57 PM

No, the Testor's wouldn't work, you need a CA type glue. Testor's is not strong enough. Loctite sells a Superglue (which is CA) and I've seen comments from folks using it that its as good as the rc specitic type tire glues (which are CA). In a pinch, ordinary superglue should get the job done if you don't want to go to or have an lhs to go to and get some rc tire glue.

Make sure you clean the tire bead before gluing - tires come out of the tire moulds covered in a mould release compound and if its not removed, it will not let the tires glue very well or at all. Wipe the bead or the tire and rim with some alcohol before you start gluing. You don't want your tires coming apart while racing....

TeamSkunkwerks 08-27-2010 06:07 PM

Crazy Glue makes a thin gel that works really well!! Or, you can use the Regular that comes in the pinpoint precise tip. That'll do!!

TeamSkunkwerks 08-27-2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Duster_360 (Post 7864688)
No, the Testor's wouldn't work, you need a CA type glue. Testor's is not strong enough. Loctite sells a Superglue (which is CA) and I've seen comments from folks using it that its as good as the rc specitic type tire glues (which are CA). In a pinch, ordinary superglue should get the job done if you don't want to go to or have an lhs to go to and get some rc tire glue.

Make sure you clean the tire bead before gluing - tires come out of the tire moulds covered in a mould release compound and if its not removed, it will not let the tires glue very well or at all. Wipe the bead or the tire and rim with some alcohol before you start gluing. You don't want your tires coming apart while racing....

+1

Duster_360 08-27-2010 06:10 PM

Here's a thread I was looking for -

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...lue-tires.html

KeselowskiFan22 08-27-2010 10:06 PM

Ok, thanks guys, I'll pick up some CA at the track tomorrow, I'll be cutting it close, but no worries. I'd better go put the diff back in :ha:

zrxrxr 08-27-2010 10:09 PM

The AKA tire glue is the best. If it falls off you did something wrong. Plus it comes in a resealable bag to keep it from hardening from sitting for a long time.

klaymon 08-28-2010 06:46 AM

I just picked up some ProLine this week and I really like it. It comes with little applicator tubes that really let you pinpoint where you want to put it.

Duster_360 08-28-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by KeselowskiFan22 (Post 7865583)
Ok, thanks guys, I'll pick up some CA at the track tomorrow, I'll be cutting it close, but no worries. I'd better go put the diff back in :ha:

Shouldn't be a prob if you go early, good luck racing!

KeselowskiFan22 08-28-2010 11:15 AM

Ok, more problems. We got some CA glue, but now we've found that we don't have any rubbing alcohol. GRRAHH! We do have lacquer thinner that worked on the tire bead, but we obviously can't use it on the rims. Any ideas?

8IGHTROCKETX3 08-28-2010 11:21 AM

try some IC-2000. it's sold at most hobby stores and imo, it's the finest tire glue available. it's a CA/rubber mix and dries black and is extremely strong.

Duster_360 08-28-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by KeselowskiFan22 (Post 7867083)
Ok, more problems. We got some CA glue, but now we've found that we don't have any rubbing alcohol. GRRAHH! We do have lacquer thinner that worked on the tire bead, but we obviously can't use it on the rims. Any ideas?

Any motor spray handy? Spray it on a rag and wipe down. Worse comes to worse, just glue the rim as is. Rims usually don't have any grease on them, their prob is they're slick and don't give glue much to grab onto. I usually rough them up with some fine grit sandpaper in the bead area, then clean them, then glue.

projectken 08-28-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Duster_360 (Post 7867268)
Any motor spray handy? Spray it on a rag and wipe down. Worse comes to worse, just glue the rim as is. Rims usually don't have any grease on them, their prob is they're slick and don't give glue much to grab onto. I usually rough them up with some fine grit sandpaper in the bead area, then clean them, then glue.

what do you mean by rough them up? like pit lines in it? or sand the paint off?

Duster_360 08-29-2010 09:07 AM

I take a pc of sandpaper and wrap it across the small edge of a flat file. Thats just the size that fits the area between the edge of the rim and where there's a line cast into the rim where the bead is glued. I pass the sandpaper over this and rough the finish up so the glue has something better to adhere to. Clean the dust off and wipe down with alcohol or motor spray and its reay to glue. I do this whether its painted or not, but especially if its chromed.

If you glue over paint or chrome, my experience has been it doesn't stay glued long.

KeselowskiFan22 08-29-2010 08:13 PM

Well we went to the track with just the bead cleaned and the tires held on, but we might re-glue 'em since we have a couple weeks b4 our next race. As soon as I get the right diff gears and quit stripping stuff out, I'll be competitive. Now that I have 'em glued, what are some good tire-prep techniques? I bought a bottle of traction action, and I'm looking forward to using it. It has directions of course, but there always seems to be tips and tricks :sneaky: