R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? How do I charge saddle pack Lipos?

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum - it looks like a great place to find out all the things I need to know after returning to the hobby after having R/C cars as a kid back in the 80s.

Anyway, I have just bought some Lipos saddle packs and just need some help with how to hook them up to the charger. The batteries (Vampire Racing) came with a fairly complicated looking bunch of wires, which are actually all one unit if that makes sense. There is a wire to go between the saddle packs, then a red wire and a black wire that will come from each saddle pack ending with a female Tamiya connector. Along with this there is what I guess is the balance lead with three wires that connect to the other main wires.

My question is how do I hook it up to the charger? I ordered the charger with an extra lead that has a male Tamiya connector on it, so I guess I just plug this in along with the balance lead?

Thanks for your help.
Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Correct. Just plug the two Tamiya ends together. The balance plug goes into the 2 cell port on the balance block/port on the charger. Make sure you charge at the correct rating for your batts.

ie: 4000mah = 4A
3800mah = 3.8A

etc.
Jamie James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thank you Jamie
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Millikan

and get youself some good connectores such and Deans, traxxas, or losi connectors. Those Tamiya connectors are no good for the application you have. You will never get the full potential of the lipo with those low current conectors. Which ever your choice of connector is, try to get all of your batteris and ECS's with that connector, that way they are all innerchangable
Old 08-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Loose the Tamiya connectors as fast as you can. You didn't say what you were running for equipment but I would guess the stock Tamiya connectors will get very warm on the first run. I would check them for heat often.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Am I OK to use the Tamiya connectors for charging?

What I was going to do was make up some leads for direct connection to the ESC - ie, straight from the ESC to 4mm gold connectors straight into the connectors on the battery itself. The Tamiya connectors would just be on the leads that I would use for charging.

If I do this, would I just use 4mm Corally connectors? I am trying to work out what is best. If I use the leads that came with the battery for connection to the ESC I could replace the Tamiya connector with a Deans connector but then the car would be running around with the balance lead still attached, as that is connected to the leads that came with the battery.

By the way, the equipment is a Tekin RS Pro with Tekin 6.5 motor in a Durango DEX410R. The batteries are Vampire Racing Saddle packs 4400mAh 40c.

I wish I knew what I was doing a bit more, I've had to try to learn as much as I can from the internet/forums etc. I hope it doesn't all go bang when I connect it up!

Last edited by Colt Seavers; 08-27-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No, I wouldn't even use them for charging, but thats cause of the experience I've had with them, I guess yoiu'd be OK as long as charge rate doesn't make them get hot.

Tamiyas connectors have resistance, they are not a 'zero-loss' (or near 'zero-loss') type connector. I've melted one and fused it together running a mild 18th scale truck. The danger is when they melt, pos and neg battery wires can touch and that resulting short can fry your setup.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote