Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Optimal running temp? > Optimal running temp?

Optimal running temp?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Optimal running temp?

Hey guys I have an HPI RS4 3 Drift with the G3.0 and it seems to run like crap the way hobbytown tuned it it stays around 220degrees the manual says don't exceed 250 but one time I had it around 260 and thats when it was running best. How it is setup now it sputters from a stop and its not fast at all. But then to get it to run right it runs too hot. What do I do ?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Engine tuning is a big part of running/owning nitro car. If your temp is over 260, run it a bit richer. The needle setting changes should be small amount, and try change the high speed needle only. Also, the % of nitro in your fuel and glow plug's heat rating have effects on engine performance. I would not run too high percentage nitro fuel unless you're racing on track. If that's the case, then run cooler/colder plug then the stock one. Usually sport plug is medium to hot and racing plug is cold to medium.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Default optimum temp for 2wd Slash

don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a 2wd Slash w/Mamba 4600 geared 16/90 w/2s 5250 Lipo and it runs about 160+ degrees or so. Anyone know if I change gearing to say 22/90 will it be safe from terminal overheating? I run it on a mid sized loose dirt outdoor track. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bowl806 View Post
don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a 2wd Slash w/Mamba 4600 geared 16/90 w/2s 5250 Lipo and it runs about 160+ degrees or so. Anyone know if I change gearing to say 22/90 will it be safe from terminal overheating? I run it on a mid sized loose dirt outdoor track. Thanks!
That is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Step-up. Never go more then 1-2 tooth up on a pinion at a time. 2 is pushing it, 6 is suicide, especially at that temp. A good temp to shoot for is 165 and you seem to be right at that.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zrxrxr View Post
That is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Step-up. Never go more then 1-2 tooth up on a pinion at a time. 2 is pushing it, 6 is suicide, especially at that temp. A good temp to shoot for is 165 and you seem to be right at that.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! That's kind of what I figured. (But it would've been a rocket ship and totally uncontrollable in the dirt!!) Kind of like running John Force's Mustang at the beach--lol!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
Engine tuning is a big part of running/owning nitro car. If your temp is over 260, run it a bit richer. The needle setting changes should be small amount, and try change the high speed needle only. Also, the % of nitro in your fuel and glow plug's heat rating have effects on engine performance. I would not run too high percentage nitro fuel unless you're racing on track. If that's the case, then run cooler/colder plug then the stock one. Usually sport plug is medium to hot and racing plug is cold to medium.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. I am running Blue Thunder Sport, when I was running Blue Thunder race when I first got it, it was running alot better.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am running Blue Thunder Sport, when I was running Blue Thunder race when I first got it, it was running alot better.
Different fuel has different properties and perhaps is blended differently. This can affect engine performance slightly. You should try to stick with one fuel that works for you and don't deviate if you can help it. I like Byron's 20% Gen2 personally. It seems consistent and my engines run fast and not too hot. Easy to hold a tune with it etc. There's lots of good fuel, but if you like one then always try to use that brand/type.

Do also remember that every day is different. You have to adjust for the temperature, humidity, basically everything. You can usually get the engine in a good range and only do slight adjustments here or there to account for the day's conditions. Do a few high speed runs and bring it in. Based on how it ran when it was warmed up and at high rpm you can determine whether to richen the mixture or lean it out. Generally on cooler days you want to richen up the mixture slightly because the air is thinner, higher humidity lean it a bit. It's just finding the right balance for the current conditions. Throughout the day things change and you need to do small adjustments for that time. You're always chasing the perfect tune, but you can find a good medium that is in the ballpark quite easily with some patience.

Read this post about engine tuning. It's long, and some of the terminology and techniques might go a bit over your head but it's an excellent read packed with good information and is a good reference for anyone wanting to learn how to tune a nitro engine. "The Tuning Bible"
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Don't tune by engine temps because every engine is going to be different, even if it is the same identical engine it is going to be different in some way. Just tune to where the engine doesn't drop off in performance while your running and you can see a wisp of smoke all the time. Also check your glow plug to make sure it has a coffee black color on the top of plug and the wire(filament) is shiny, and the tip where it comes onto the plug housing is just turning black
Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't know what kind of weather you have there but it looks like the average temp in Atlanta, GA is in the 80's. If I was you id step up to 30% Nitro fuel this will give you more performance while letting you tune your engine richer to keep it cool. Id also check your glow plug and see what temp it is. If you find out you have been running a really hot plug maybe try a medium plug.