Which one?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Which one?

I want to get into clubracing 1/10 buggies or sc trucks on a budget of $300 (including battries) what do you recommend?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Traxxas Slash.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Def. the Slash... Probably will be my next car and going to go Brushless.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

how durable is the slash? the reason my budget is quite low is i pay for it my self
and I am only 11
thanks for the help
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

slashes are very very durable,waterproof . I've done some jumps that are way to big for it and it stays together after smashing and rolling about 15 times off a single jump, parts support is basically everywhere

buggies are harder to drive, faster and lighter it takes more skill to drive them or least that's what i have heard. That's what my next purchase is a b4,losi xxx cr,or mrc gv2 parts could be difficult to find a certain brand some shops like to carry a team associated parts and cars while others like to carry losi

get a slash if you just starting out

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...attery-Charger

DPPAN105 is a coupon code on amain

you can get it for 230

Last edited by surby; 08-19-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

slashes are very very durable,waterproof . I've done some jumps that are way to big for it and it stays together after smashing and rolling about 15 times off a single jump, parts support is basically everywhere

buggies are harder to drive, faster and lighter it takes more skill to drive them or least that's what i have heard. That's what my next purchase is a b4,losi xxx cr,or mrc gv2 parts could be difficult to find a certain brand some shops like to carry a team associated parts and cars while others like to carry losi

get a slash if you just starting out
+2 Iv'e dropped the slash from eight feet straight down and not broken anything, buggies are a good deal harder to drive but everyone drives sc these days...
Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

It's a bit of a shame that they stopped selling the $199 Slash that didn't have the battery/charger because for those looking to race, that charger that's included won't cut it and the battery isn't legal for racing.

You can get by with a single battery though. I ran a single 5000mah lipo and just charged it between heats. If the battery that comes with the new Slash is allowed at your track, you can probably get by with it, but you'll need a better charger.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Check it out at http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec..._5803slash.htm
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K_B
It's a bit of a shame that they stopped selling the $199 Slash that didn't have the battery/charger because for those looking to race, that charger that's included won't cut it and the battery isn't legal for racing.

You can get by with a single battery though. I ran a single 5000mah lipo and just charged it between heats. If the battery that comes with the new Slash is allowed at your track, you can probably get by with it, but you'll need a better charger.
its cause they upgraded some of the things on it
Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help, I am not compleatly new I have had the Rc8t for about 6 months now and just been practicing on a small track I made. The only club near me is an electric one. What are the blitz and sc10 like? I heard that they are more tunable than the slash.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Unfortunately I'm at work right now and can't access youtube to find the video for you, but one of my subscriptions on there is a guy named Squirrel (channel is "Squirrelod") who just recently did a review on the OFNA Jammin SCRT-10. He was raving over the kit and at one point he ranked it as his fav above several other short course trucks and he had a few negative things to say about the Slash in that review.

I currently just race on-road, but have been looking at getting something off-road, so I've been reading and watching quite a few reviews on buggies, truggies and short course trucks. I've seen many people swear by traxxas on here, but I've been watching squirrel's videos for a while now and tend to trust his opinions.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would advise against the slash myself. yes they have great parts support and you will need it, but for the money you are getting less than say an sc10 or blitz. If you go to the associated site you can even pic up full warrantied SC10 rtr that are refurbed for less than 190 and that gives room for a couple batteries. On the track The other brands outside of traxxas have done thier work in setup and handling. Yes in the past the slash was the most winning truck but that is because it was the only or majority of the trucks on the track. That has now started to change and unless traxxas steps up to the plate and refines the slash you will see less and less racers on the podiums holding slashes. Parts support is good for AE and HPI products. Traxxas should be applauded for starting this craze but they have done little to improve thier trucks which is normal for them.

Slash seems to be a goto for the new guys which is fine but if you want to skip the nube buy, then look at other rides as they will grow with you. the slash is a dead end ride that you will outgrow.

Just my 2 cents

Matt
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
Unfortunately I'm at work right now and can't access youtube to find the video for you, but one of my subscriptions on there is a guy named Squirrel (channel is "Squirrelod") who just recently did a review on the OFNA Jammin SCRT-10. He was raving over the kit and at one point he ranked it as his fav above several other short course trucks and he had a few negative things to say about the Slash in that review.

I currently just race on-road, but have been looking at getting something off-road, so I've been reading and watching quite a few reviews on buggies, truggies and short course trucks. I've seen many people swear by traxxas on here, but I've been watching squirrel's videos for a while now and tend to trust his opinions.
my son runs and SCRT10 and lays waste to slash 4x4s with little effort. The scrt10 is buggy based and carries its weight really low which makes for excellent handling. His first race ever he placed fourth in the a main. not bad considering he only had about an hours practice with it. There were two hypers and 8 slashes. Only one slash made the podium(damn good driver). Has not had a slash in front of him since.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree with you(matt and locked), well that is from what i have have heard. That the slash may well have been a class cretor but sc is here now and other brands are doing a bettar job. how much dose the scrt10 cost?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

250 on amain
but with one of those youll need esc,motor,servos,radio and gear

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.