Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Is buying over this forum safe?? >

Is buying over this forum safe??

Is buying over this forum safe??

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Is buying over this forum safe??

Hello! I am new to forums in general. I am looking to purchase a few items from a few people on this forum and im little uneasy about it. I know the best way to pay is through paypal, but im a little worried about getting ripped off.. Any advice?? Any ways to insure that i dont get ripped off?? i tried to get the guy to post on ebay, he wouldnt do it...am i asking for to much??

Thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

buying personal items through the internet always involves acts of faith and trust.
that being said... check the feedback of the seller..
the descriptions... the pictures..
you can get a decent idea of the seller that way.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes, that was asking a lot and I can't blame someone that's not currently on eBay for not wanting to go thru all that to sell something.

If you can't get a level of confidence about a potential buy to a certain point and be comfortable with it, don't buy it. Use your head, don't send money as a gift via Paypal (thats just asking for trouble), pay the extra if you have too and use a credit card for PP if you can. Just a few ways to protect yourself.

There are no guarantees, period.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If the person you are buying from has a lot of posts on rctech - say a couple hundred to thousands, chances are they don't want to ruin their reputation here by ripping you off.

I sometimes check the buyers' other posts just to try to get an idea of what kind of person I may be sending money to.

Look at the photos closely (as a general rule, I won't buy anything that I can't at least see in a photo). Ask questions or ask for more detailed pictures if you have any concerns about the quality of the product.

With that all said, I don't think I've ever had a problem with a seller on rctech. I've probably bought 20-30 times on rctech. In fact, just today I received a used Team Associated B4 buggy with two extra sets of tires and spare parts for just over half the cost of a brand new kit.

I'd rather buy (and sell) here rather than E-Bay with all their fees.

But, in the end, it's your call. It's not worth losing sleep over to save $5.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

No site is 100% safe, as most have said their are ways to protect yourself. The biggest one if it sounds to good to be true..most of the time it is, don't let greed cloud your decisions, not everyone wants paypal as payment. I won't use paypal, I will take a USPS money order..as most have said post count, trader score.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

is it safe to buy off the internet period? NO its not if you feel the guy/girl is a lil iffey or not truthful or they dont reply soon or talk much about the product, that normally will through up a red flag and follow ur gut my first thing i did on here was a trade and it was very scarry giving up a brand new sc and shipping first but i felt the guy was truthful and i talked to him over the phone and all.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Lord

It's hard if you only have a few sales or a low post count, but if I'm selling I would never ship first, if the person who wants to buy it from me doesn't trust the deal then don't buy from me, it's as simple as that. I have had a few request that I ship first because I only have 6 deals on the trader feedback, I've been a member on RC Tech since 02..the trader feedback started 2 or 3 years ago and 90% of my deals were before that. Nowadays I try to do most deals Local, it's much easier and I can look at the product up close and if their buying from me (lucky them) they can look over what I'm selling.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

It is definitely hard buying on here and it seems lately that there are far more crappy people selling than good ones. My last 4 purchases on here total about $1400 and EVERY one of them had something significantly wrong. One was a dead battery, one blown diff and bad speedo (guy took care of me quick), a shot motor (with no resolution, I'm screwed), and lastly $30 worth of parts were missing and the buggy looks as if it's been sitting in a bucket of mud for a few weeks.

However, the $1400 I spent recently would have cost me about $3500 or so if I bought it new so to me, it's worth the headache to save that much money. I only buy REALLY good deals and I've yet to have one come out too good to be true. Some people just want their stuff gone, period.

And yes, it's WAY too much asking to list it on Ebay. I wouldn't and I sell a lot of things there. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hawk6
If the person you are buying from has a lot of posts on rctech - say a couple hundred to thousands, chances are they don't want to ruin their reputation here by ripping you off.

I sometimes check the buyers' other posts just to try to get an idea of what kind of person I may be sending money to.

Look at the photos closely (as a general rule, I won't buy anything that I can't at least see in a photo). Ask questions or ask for more detailed pictures if you have any concerns about the quality of the product.

With that all said, I don't think I've ever had a problem with a seller on rctech. I've probably bought 20-30 times on rctech. In fact, just today I received a used Team Associated B4 buggy with two extra sets of tires and spare parts for just over half the cost of a brand new kit.

I'd rather buy (and sell) here rather than E-Bay with all their fees.

But, in the end, it's your call. It's not worth losing sleep over to save $5.
x2! Great advice.

Only thing I'll add is if the seller/buyer is on any other big forums like RCcrawler, RCshortcourse, UltimateRC, Beatyourtruck etc.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

I've been here long enough to witness at least 2 guys with several thousand post counts and high, positive trader feedback just decide to 'go bad' and start scamming. Yes the odds are against it, but again, no guranatees.

Protect yourself, if it feels/seems wrong, if it's too good to be true, if gift option PP is required, just don't do it, walk away, you'll see that same item again.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I've been here long enough to witness at least 2 guys with several thousand post counts and high, positive trader feedback just decide to 'go bad' and start scamming. Yes the odds are against it, but again, no guranatees.

Protect yourself, if it feels/seems wrong, if it's too good to be true, if gift option PP is required, just don't do it, walk away, you'll see that same item again.
Do you remember who they were? Just wondering..I know it could happen, nothing in this world is a sure thing..and just because your on a RC site doesn't mean you take care of your equipment or keep it clean either..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Rookie

I've bought 2nd hand car parts on a different forum and out of the 10 times I bought something, 1 time it didn't go as planned.

All I can say is ask around, try to get some info on the guy.. Go with your instinct, if it seems fishy, don't do it.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Oasis
Do you remember who they were? Just wondering..I know it could happen, nothing in this world is a sure thing..and just because your on a RC site doesn't mean you take care of your equipment or keep it clean either..
I remember this one cause of his how to post pics in the FS/FT forum, watched it go down -

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...heres-how.html

I know there's at least one other....name escapes me atm....mind is the 1st thing to go....I'll think of it, but may take a few days!?!?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks for the advice every body!!! i have purchased 2 items and i have received 2 tracking numbers! What an awsome community!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

great thread. helpful +1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.