Search

Just Saying Hi!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Talking Just Saying Hi!

Hey--

I'm new to the sport and to the forum. Just wanted to say Hi. My son kinda hooked me into this. Just got a Slash 4x4 which I find really impressive.

I went to the local track Sunday (about 65 miles away) and ran my truck a little during the practice time. Ended up feeling I was clogging up the works pretty significantly. The other drivers were NOT making me feel that way. Just got tired of being right in the middle of almost every multi-vehicle wreck.
So I just kind of ended up watching a lot and marshalling some & had a good day.
On the way home it dawned on me that the infield at a baseball diamond might be a good place to practice. I have checked out a couple and tried one. It is working great. I'm running on a dirt surface, it is big enough to get up to a little speed. I use the bases for corners. There are no jumps, but I'm finding that the practice is pretty good for someone that's totally new to this deal.

That's all I have for now. Happy to be here.

Pete
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Welcome to the hobby! I joined the same way (without using my son as an excuse) with the slash 4x4.

One thing on the slash to watch out for is the slipper bearing, especially when running on a baseball diamond with fine dust/durt. Make sure you keep it clean and oiled or packed with grease.

Last edited by spicybrown; 08-04-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

+1 that's how I got the bug. Started w/VXL Pede and 3s Lipo tearing up baseball diamonds.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Hi!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Welcome to the hobby,and welcome to the best rc site on the face of this planet.Any questions you have just start posting and people will be more than glad to help you out.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

welcome to the hobby!!!! Everyone starts off some where so dont let others at the track get to you just be polite and when a faster guy is behind you just pull over and let them by, its ok to be slow everyone was slow at one point. 1 tip is learn to jump a 4x4 and learn throttle control and dont get inpatient if you get those down you wont finish last!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GreyBeard
Hey--

On the way home it dawned on me that the infield at a baseball diamond might be a good place to practice. I have checked out a couple and tried one. It is working great. I'm running on a dirt surface, it is big enough to get up to a little speed. I use the bases for corners. There are no jumps, but I'm finding that the practice is pretty good for someone that's totally new to this deal.

Pete
That is exactly where I like to drive my stuff - baseball diamonds are easy to find, and if you are running electric cars, people aren't going to complain about it too much.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GreyBeard
Hey--

I'm new to the sport and to the forum. Just wanted to say Hi. My son kinda hooked me into this. Just got a Slash 4x4 which I find really impressive.

I went to the local track Sunday (about 65 miles away) and ran my truck a little during the practice time. Ended up feeling I was clogging up the works pretty significantly. The other drivers were NOT making me feel that way. Just got tired of being right in the middle of almost every multi-vehicle wreck.
So I just kind of ended up watching a lot and marshalling some & had a good day.

Pete
Hi! I'm new also. I'm still doing some researching to figure out which car I want to get. I'm somebody who has never ever touched an RC Car before. Do you find the Slash 4x4 to be easy to handle and how's the maintenance on it? Difficult? Easy?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Practicing on a baseball diamond is a good place to practice ive done it but the only drawback is you fill the whole tub of the vehical with fine clay and it seems to end up everywhere you just need to keep practicing and hopefuly the rec dept doesn't become angry.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tenkuro
Hi! I'm new also. I'm still doing some researching to figure out which car I want to get. I'm somebody who has never ever touched an RC Car before. Do you find the Slash 4x4 to be easy to handle and how's the maintenance on it? Difficult? Easy?
If you have never touched an rc car before then the slash 4x4 may seem difficult at first. My first time using a slash 4x4 I was nose diving or doing a half backflip in every jump. So as a beginner which i still am i drive a blitz because 2wd are just easier for me.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hey--I wanted to thank everyone that responded to my first post. Since then, I've been on vacation. My annual Harley ride to Sturgis. Now I'm back and one of the first things was to take my Slash to the baseball diamond.

Tenkuro asked if my Slash 4x4 was easy to handle. Um, as a real novice, I'm not exactly sure how to answer that. I don't have anything to compare it to. The Slash seems to have a reputation as being very tough & durable. That has been my experience. They have a reputation for being very easy to get parts for. I haven't needed to do much of that yet. I did go with a Lipo battery rather than the battery that came with the truck.

To me, inexperienced as I am, the truck seems really fast. Does 40+ mph pretty much right out of the box. Change a gear (included with the truck) and it is supposed to do 60+ mph. I was reading tonight about some simple changes to get 80+ mph out of the Slash 4x4.

80+ freaking MPH???? Like I said, right out of the box they do 40+ and that seems really fast to me. I'm spending time at the ball field learning how to drive it.

Superblackfoot, you are right. The tray does fill with dirt & clay.

And I did write down the advice from spicybrown to keep the slipper bearing clean & oiled. Thanks.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses.