Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Advice wanted

I'm looking for some advice on cars and equipment for two 8 year olds. Upto now they have had several cheap £30 indoor RC cars but it's time to move on to 1/10th scale outdoor cars/buggies.

So to my questions...

Radio - Should I get them 40MHz or 2.4 GHz RC sets? My own interest is in RC aircraft and there are some cheap 2.4Ghz sets around that would also be suitable for aircraft if they later decide to get into that. Is 2.4Ghz allowed at UK RC car clubs or is it 27 and 40MHz only?

Batteries - Li or NHmH? Have all the car racing classes switched to Li cells or are NiMH cells still used for racing? If Li can you recommend a cheap Li charger or dual output charger?

Thanks

Cars - I'm anticipating them breaking their cars frequently so can anyone recommend a type/make/model of off roader for which spares are readily available in the UK?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

If you are looking for a buggy that is solid, easy to get parts for, and a complete RTR to include 2.4 Radio system you will not find a better setup than the Associated B4 RTR Buggy. You will need at least 1 battery and charger for each car, I would suggest a lipo battery something at least 4000 Mah and 25C or more, Make sure you get a charger that can balance charge lipo batteries as well.

I have provided a link to the RTR below:
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=ASC9039

Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Rookie

I am going to 2nd what was said about the Associated B4 or T4 RTR, great cars, great parts. You can also get a brushless edition now with the 2.4.

I personally am using a Team Orion Clubman LiPo Edition charger; it will handle NiCd, NiMH, LiPo, or LiFe batteries. Also has balancing, which is a must have IMO for LiPo.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

1/10 Traxxas slash 2wd rtr check it outwww.traxxas.com

Last edited by superblackfoot; 08-05-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superblackfoot
1/10 Traxxas slash 2wd rtr check it outwww.traxxas.com
I agree, for 8 year olds a slash will be the way to go. Fun and durable.