Search

Nitro won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Nitro won't stay running

I have a Losi 8 2.0
The engine won't stay running reliably. It stalls while idling, it stutters when I give it full throttle and it gets really hot... 296F before I just killed it.
While it was hot it ran very smoothly though, pretty sure I still had it set really rich since it was spewing out white smoke when I gave it throttle. The idle is also unsteady when it will idle without stalling out, it sort of jumps up and down sometimes like I'm hitting the throttle but it's not returning (the needle is returning) back to idle speed.
It was also a nightmare to get started when I got to the track.

I set everything back to factory the day before then turned both low and high two notches on the rich side and ran it in my apartment parking lot without any of these problems, temp got to 256F. I also replaced the glow plug despite the old one lighting up just fine when I put it to the gun.
I don't see any mention in the manual about what the factory idle setting is supposed to be.

I'm running 30% through it since my LHS was out of 20. Could this be the cause of my problems?
Any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markah
I have a Losi 8 2.0
The engine won't stay running reliably. It stalls while idling, it stutters when I give it full throttle and it gets really hot... 296F before I just killed it.
While it was hot it ran very smoothly though, pretty sure I still had it set really rich since it was spewing out white smoke when I gave it throttle. The idle is also unsteady when it will idle without stalling out, it sort of jumps up and down sometimes like I'm hitting the throttle but it's not returning (the needle is returning) back to idle speed.
It was also a nightmare to get started when I got to the track.

I set everything back to factory the day before then turned both low and high two notches on the rich side and ran it in my apartment parking lot without any of these problems, temp got to 256F. I also replaced the glow plug despite the old one lighting up just fine when I put it to the gun.
I don't see any mention in the manual about what the factory idle setting is supposed to be.

I'm running 30% through it since my LHS was out of 20. Could this be the cause of my problems?
Any suggestions?
Without knowing more, it sounds to me that the engine is running very lean on the bottom end, that would be the only reason why it is heating up so quickly and running hot even though it has good smoke out of the exhaust on throttle. Try running your bottom end needle out 2-3 hours and start there.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

It does sound as though your engine is running too lean i had a similar problem with a .28 you will need to change your low speed needle be careful with it though. Changing the needle either way in/out can make it behave erratically.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice.
It's running pretty good now and temp is staying low.

Low was too lean and high was way too rich.

Somehow I had managed to mix up the factory settings for low and high adjustments, and the adjusting from there only made things worse.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default low speed

Usually when you get these symptoms the low end is way too lean.