Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
My first brushless endeavor...TC3 >

My first brushless endeavor...TC3

My first brushless endeavor...TC3

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default My first brushless endeavor...TC3

Hey guys, I've had this TC3 roller sitting around for a month or 2, got bored today and figured I'd get it running. Originally I was just gunna go for a simple brushed motor/esc, but I found out my lhs doesn't even stock brushed parts. So I ended up biting the bullet and going BL. When I got out of the hobby about 8 years ago, I got rid of everything, so I had to get everything again charger and battery.

I decided on the Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s waterproof setup. I got a simple Venom 3300mah NiMH battery for now, and a Duratrax Onyx 230 charger. The Onyx seems decent, it will do 3s LiPo's so I think I am setup to go LiPo in the future if I decide to.

It was quite a project fitting everything on the tiny chassis of the TC3, but I made it work. Good ole' X-Acto. I miss the days of Novak XXL's and GT7's, man those were nice and small. I haven't really driven it yet, just kinda putted around the house to make sure everything is working right.

Well, here's some pics.

Here you can see how much chassis had to be trimmed back to fit the motor. I ended up taking a little too much off the first round through, didn't realize I had to go wider, and made the opening a little too long.

Now I know it looks like the motor is hanging below the chassis a ton. It is hanging down, but its only around 1mm. I plan on making a lexan shield to protect it some.

Here I trimmed the brace back to give access to the pinion screw, otherwise the brace has to be removed to get to it.

Luckily I had a universal antenna mount lying around. There is no way to get a 2.4Ghz rx antenna wire in the stock mount.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

should go well, you'll definitely need some better tyres if you run a 3s lipo

also, might I suggest you move the steering servo linkage to the back of the servo horn so its not at such a funny angle?

good luck! I'm sure you'll crash
Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

lol, yea I deff need new tires. These are just a set that I got used with the roller. Kinda ran out of money at the lhs today. I think I'm gunna order the wider 'vintage' style hpi wheels. I have an unpainted Lambo Countach (so happy to get one before they were discontinued) body waiting for me, and I know it needs wider rear wheels.

I do want to bring the ball stud to the other side of the servo horn, that is the normal spot, but then it hits the servo case. So until I find a better servo horn, I'm stuck with it.