Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to the Hobby, need help identifying parts... >

New to the Hobby, need help identifying parts...

New to the Hobby, need help identifying parts...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to the Hobby, need help identifying parts...

Hello all, I'm hcr13 and I'm new to the Nitro RC racing scene. I've always wanted one of these "gas" powered racers since I was a kid and saw a few grownups playing in some parking lot somewhere. This weekend I got a pretty good deal on a Ofna racer. I paid $25 for it but its missing a few key components to make it work. So far I've concluded that its some sort of Ofna product (don't know exact model or name) and its a 4x4. The motor seems to have pretty good compression (when pulling the rip cord). I've included a few pics to see if you guys can help me figure out what all is needed to make this puppy run. I've been doing some research for a day or two now but I still don't know the exact components needed. From my research, I've gathered that I need an air filter, a steering servo (in the mail), all the transmitter stuff (crystals, transmitter, receiver, etc) also in the mail. I believe I also need the 2 driveshafts the connect the motor to the front and back differentials (is that the correct term?). And of course lastly, a body and spoiler. If you guys can provide me with as much information about this car, I would greatly appreciate it. I'd also like to get some info on possibly how the fuel system works since I'm guessing it uses a special fuel with other mixtures (oil?). I'm not new to the motosports world, I have an actual Trans Am I've been working and building on for a few years now, so I'm not afraid to take things apart. Thanks again guys!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From what I can tell, Your about right on spot for what you need to get it together. (Drive shafts are going to be important and checking the Diffs to make sure they have not been ate up) You want to run specific fuel for an R/C Car, Such as O'Donnell or Nitrotane. Look around and see if you can find a hobbyshop by you. Take it there.

Also if you do get it running, Point the to the side, or down.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Tech Rookie

even with the missing parts, it looks like you got yourself a hell of a deal
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

make sure you get a receiver battery and a charger for it
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply guys! Doing a bit more research, I believe this is a OFNA ultra (lx?) model. So with this info, I can go about finding the proper parts. all wheels spin freely without problem, and all wheels (when turned) make the center shaft spin, so I'm thinking the differentials should be ok. There are quite a few hobby shops around here, if need be I'll definitely take it there, but I know they are pricey and I can find better deals online and here... Thanks again guys, I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as the time comes!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, quick question, what is the official name for the shafts that connect the motor to the differentials? I've been searching but I get center shafts, dogbone shafts, regular driveshafts? I'm not sure what it is. Also, I'm guessing I also need "cups" to look them in place???
Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Believe Ofna called them center drive shafts.

I don't think this is your buggy, but it should help understand what you're looking at. Its and older buggy and I see there is some similarity with what you're working on -

http://rcdocuments.com/Ofna_Ultra%20MBX.pdf

These shafts engage a set of drive cups on either end - the ones on either end of the center diff may be named diff - the linked manual calls them 'brake joint.. You def need them to run.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info Duster, that really helps!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You're welcome....figured the info would be helpful.

I know how hard it is to do something like you're doing when you don't have any info and have never worked on one before. I built an old RC kit plane some time ago that didn't have any instructions (lost).
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Smile

you are correct you have the ofna ultra lx (orginal) i got mine sept, 2001 great buggy i put a hyper 21 engine on it a hualed!

here is the owners manual.
http://ofna.com/pdf/ultra-lx-pro.pdf

the exhaust tip should point out. use the silver rod beside the fuel tank through the end of the pipe to hold it in place.

i am pretty sure that the lx comp body will fit the ultra, ofna is famous for re-using old parts, which is good since they are already on the hobby shops selves. any buggy wing will work, just pick one here you have to drill your own holes, and proline and ofna take rit dye really well if you buy white.

the local hobby shops will be more than happy to help you, "AS" long as you buy your parts from them. because if the try to sell you something for 10mins and you go on line and buy it and they see it on your buggy they will not spend that much time helping you next time.

try and always get part numbers for them! it helps them when they are busy, and makes it easy to order..over time they will like helping you with your part orders-lol

good luck and enjoy.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info and the file Navy, I have quite a few parts in the mail (battery pack, glow plug igniter, steering linkage, drive shafts, air filter). I figure if I can get it running (which I'm confident I can by reading the manual), I'll get body and wing. There is a local hobby shop and I went in there yesterday. They were very nice and helpful, but the prices were a bit high compared to the web. But it'll be nice to know I can get parts locally should there be an "emergency" on race day or something. But they did have a very nice selection on car bodies, I wouldn't mind trying to "retrofit" another body onto it...