Rebuilding Shocks/Dampers >

Rebuilding Shocks/Dampers

Old 05-25-2004, 09:21 PM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ok here's the deal: 3 days back i completely rebuilt my dampers; opened up all the seals, cleaned the shaft, reservoir etc etc. Refitted all the parts religiously, filled 'em back up, bled and recapped nicely. No missing parts or damaged parts detected. The dampers rebounced back fully after compression. All was good. They were placed in box laying awaiting car complete rebuild.

Yesterday, i noticed all of these dampers either rebounced very slightly or didn't rebounce at all after compression. With no trace of leaking, i'm puzzled

Should i rebuild dampers just moments before taking the car out which sounds a little bit awkward or toss those dampers at marshalls
Old 05-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

I think the main thing you want to happen is to have all the dampers rebound the same distance in the same amount of time. I think what has happened is either the pressure inside the shock has (A) caved in the bladders if you use bladders or (B) the shock has air in it which is screwing up the rebound. However some shocks are designed to have air in them as well as oil.

Interesting...
Old 05-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Suspended

The first thing to do is unscrew the shock caps and check the oil in the shocks, if it is a little low just refill them.
sometimes the seals and other parts take a seat and need a little tweaking, sounds like you are on the right track

Shocks are like electric motors, at first they give you fits and after you understand them it is much clearer.
Just keep playing with them and you will get it right.
Hope this helps some.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:16 PM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by fatdoggy
...I think what has happened is either the pressure inside the shock has caved in the bladders...
i've rebuilt the dampers again (like what's shown in Balak's racing) with similar dismal results. perhaps "aging" bladders at fault here (not me ) but the whole kit is rather new

additional helps are much appreciated